Life as a Country Music Fan among Anti-Country Music Friends

Posted -

We all have likes and dislikes. One of my “likes” happens to be country music, but some of my friends would rather listen to any other genre rather than a Josh Turner radio station. Although my love of country music will NEVER fade, I respect my friends’ music preferences most of the time. However, suppressing my country music side is extremely hard sometimes. Here is a little glimpse of loving country music in an anti-country music environment (aka in most social settings with my friends).

When you find out your roomie would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard rather than country music:

The look friends give you when your music is too loud in the lib, and they hear Kenny Chesney blaring out of your headphones:

When you’re alone in your room, so you let your country-music-loving-self run wild:

But then your best friends catch you blissfully dancing:

When your roomie is around, but you just want to listen to some songs about trucks, beer, and Friday nights:

The feeling when you find one other friend that loves country music just as much as you:

But then you realize they just like “pop country,” and have no idea who George Straight is:

When you finally have a break from school, so you hop in the car, roll the windows down, and listen to country music the whole way home:

About The Author

Catie Spaulding is a junior at Bates College. In her free time, she enjoys playing with puppies, watching reruns of The Office, admiring squirrels on campus, and eating outrageous amounts of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login