A Lazy Collegiate’s Guide to Hairstyles: The Three B’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Every night before my 8 a.m., I tell myself that I’m going to get up early and actually style my hair into something presentable for class. However, this is where dreams meet reality. Why get up early when I can just have twenty extra minutes for sleeping? With this mentality, I have perfected (at least in my mind) some go-to hairstyles for early morning class. If you have an early schedule, enjoy sleeping late, or just don’t like stressing about your hair, I’ve got you covered.

Braids

Braids are a perfect hairstyle for days when you don’t feel like trying, the weather is a little ambiguous, or your hair is so crazy that you don’t know what to do with it. You can also braid your hair before bed, so then in the morning all you have to do is let your hair down. If you’re feeling a little fancy, you can even spray some texturizing sea salt spray into your hair. A nice one to try is this because it helps define your waves, while also reminding you of the beach (AND helps you forget about your class that starts in five minutes).

Buns

I believe that buns are definitely underrated in terms of presentable hairstyles. Of course, you can throw your hair up in a messy bun when you’re late. However, taking two minutes to tuck away strands of hair with bobby pins can make you look like you tried a lot harder than you actually did. Add a pair of statement earrings into the mix, and you’re basically ready for the red carpet.

Baseball Hats/ Beanies

I love, love, LOVE baseball hats. Even if these aren’t technically a hairstyle, they still do the trick when you’re in a hurry. If you didn’t have time to wash your hair? Hat. If your hair is looking a little flat? Hat. Basically, if you are ever wondering what to do about your hair, the answer is a baseball hat. To me, hats are also a form of self-expression because every one of mine has a story. However, if you’re new to the baseball hat game or just don’t really like them, beanies are another great option! Both help soothe your hair worries in the same way because you just throw one on and call it a day.

Catie Spaulding is a 2019 Bates College graduate. In her free time, she enjoys singing the wrong lyrics to almost every song imaginable, contemplating big and small life questions with anyone around her, and debating what flavor ice cream to pick up on the next grocery run.