The City Speaks: Lewiston Nuisance Party Ordinance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

As many Bates students have now already heard, city officials proposed to the city of Lewiston two ordinances regarding off-campus partying this past Tuesday, September 12th. These two proposals, coined the “Nuisance Party Ordinance” and the “Noise Ordinance” were drafted by City Administrator Ed Barrett and Police Chief Brian O’Malley, who seek to fine “the people making noise” around Bates on the weekends. An ordinance is a piece of legislation enacted by municipal authority. The proposed “Nuisance Party Ordinance” is based on the fact that the Lewiston Police Department has received complaints from the neighborhoods surrounding Bates in recent years. Those in charge of the properties receiving complaints would receive a $300 fine, which would increase to $500 if partygoers refuse to leave or if there is a second party. A third fine and beyond can be up to $1000. If fines aren’t paid, the guilty party must go to court. “This is going to start to hurt these kids,” said Police Chief Brian O’Malley at last week’s City Council Meeting.

The “Nuisance Party Ordinance” itself was crafted in response to growing concerns from Bates neighbors in recent years. The Police Department and the City Administrator seek to put an end to loud parties that keep people up at night and the littering, disorderly drunk conduct (such as students screaming and running through the streets) and general rowdiness present off-campus during the weekend. These concerns are not unreasonable. Bates neighbors should be able to feel safe and comfortable on the weekends, just as Bates students should be able to go to parties, as any college student would. The two should not be mutually exclusive, but the “Nuisance Party Ordinance” makes it clear that some feel one cannot exist with the other present.

City Administrator Barrett has stated that while the ordinance was drafted with Bates in mind, it is meant to extend to all parts of Lewiston. A woman at Tuesday’s town hall meeting highlighted the need for increased police presence downtown, saying that she has witnessed far worse behavior in front of her Blake Street apartment than what goes on at Bates during the weekend. “I’ve seen someone get stabbed, someone get knocked out with a bottle of Jack Daniels, someone run after people on the street with a machete…” She later noted that police never intervened successfully to clear up any of these situations. This testimony aligns with a city council member’s observance that “Bates college presents us with barely any problems compared with what we deal with downtown.”

After news of the ordinances broke out, we met with Dean of Students Josh McIntosh to get a further understanding of Bates’ position on this matter. Dean McIntosh spoke very candidly on behalf of the neighbors that are losing sleep during the weekends and how difficult it is for them to go to work without getting a full night’s sleep. We all came to the conclusion that these are reasonable and valid complaints. Dean McIntosh also noted how incredibly helpful and cooperative the Lewiston/Auburn Police Department has always been with Bates students, and that it is crucial for us all to recognize how valuable this relationship is.

After our informative meeting with Dean McIntosh, we next turned to the source of the ordinances themselves: City Administrator Ed Barrett. Mr. Barrett explained that escalating disruption in recent years pushed the ordinances into creation, noting that he believed Bates’ recent security crackdown on on-campus partying pushed students out into the streets of Lewiston and into off-campus houses in residential neighborhoods on the weekends. He also suggested that it was not necessarily the students renting off-campus houses who were causing the disorder and noise, but rather the hoards of students migrating to these houses to attend parties. We are of the belief that police officers, such as Officer Weaver, have been extremely helpful around the Bates campus on the weekend, and we seek to maintain this positive relationship.  When asked to comment on the fact that these ordinances could polarized such relationships, Barrett simply said, “We want to work cooperatively, but we need a mechanism for enforcement.”  “I’ve never been a party person,” he added. “I still don’t like parties.”

Now comes the time line for these ordinances. Both were initially proposed last Tuesday. The ordinances typically require two ‘read-throughs’ to occur before they can be passed, the first of which will happen tonight at 7 PM in Lewiston Town Hall. Members from the public are free to attend and comment. If the first read through is approved, a second will take place in two weeks. If the ordinances are approved again, there will be a 30-day waiting period before they are enacted. However, it is crucial to note that there is a serious chance that the ordinances could potentially be approved tonight, if city council deems the second read-through and waiting period unnecessary. Given this very real possibility, it is of paramount importance that Bates students are represented at tonight’s meeting. We urge students to respectfully and mindfully participate in tonight’s 7 PM Town Hall meeting, under the uniformed stance that Bates students are committed to working together with neighbors, police, and city council to find the best possible solution for this situation.

Isabelle is a Junior at Bates College. She enjoys being cozy, makeup, and fine cheeses.
Elizah Laurenceau is a senior at Bates College. Her hobbies consist of rewatching Call Me By Your Name, using Huji to take pictures, and playing with her dog. She spends her days either glued on her computer or late nights finishing up work.