Campus Cutie: Sugeiry Betances ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

There is never a dull moment with this week’s Campus Cutie, Sugeiry “Suly” Betances ’15. Brains (she is going to be a badass lawyer one day in the not-so-distant future) with a bold personality and a booty to match, Suly is a catch…that is, if you can catch her. Get to know this cutie before she graduates and subsequently takes over the world.

Name: Sugeiry “Suly” Betances (It sounds like ‘Sue-hey-dee’ with a very subtle roll of the ‘r’)

Hometown: New York City (Born and raised, baby.)

Major: Philosophy

Year: 2015

Astrological sign: Sagittarius

Relationship status: Single

Sexual orientation: Straight

Best class at Bates: Philosophy of Feminism with Susan Stark, who is also my thesis advisor.

What are you involved in on campus? I’ve played squash for four years. I’m also a former tour guide, and I do a little bit for Latinos Unidos on the side. I’m also on the Honors Committee. 

Ideal job: Corporate litigator

After graduation plans: Paralegal for two years, then heading off to law school.

Places where you can most often be found: The library (which is very sad), Commons and the squash courts.

Pick one food to eat for the rest of your life: Pizza

You have a whole Saturday afternoon free. What do you do? I would probably play some squash for a couple of hours, then I would go to a cutesy little coffee shop (has to be cutesy) with an old friend (like literally old, like 80 years old). Then, I would read a book and go home and watch a movie by myself. (I actually like spending time alone.)

Pick-up line: Nice shoes. (If I wanted to start a random conversation with someone, this is probably what I would go with.)

Dream date: Preferably go-carting or a shooting range, something that keeps me active. A day full of fun activities where I can be competitive and funny (but, I mean, I’m naturally funny, anyway). 

Favorite drink: Scotch old-fashioned

Top three emojis on your phone right now: Crying laughing face, the kissing face and the yellow heart

Tell us a secret. I can’t swim.

If you could switch lives with someone for one week, who would you pick? Amal Clooney; it’s not because she’s married to George Clooney, but because of her successful career as a humanitarian lawyer.

Photo Credit

What superpower would you pick? Speed because I’m always late everywhere.

Pick your Patronus: A wolf – the one that leads the pack. They’re nice, they’re generous, but they can also be fierce.

How would your friends describe you in three words? Determined, honest and funny.

Favorite movie? Saving Private Ryan  

Life motto: I’m stuck between two. 1) If it’s meant to be, it will be. 2) Go for it.

What’s your baseball walk-up song? If I had to have a baseball walk-up song, it would Ima Boss by Meek Mill.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be? Back to Edinburgh, where I travelled abroad. But if I had to travel to a new place, I would go to Bali – or somewhere I can be serene.

Celebrity crush: Julian Edelman

Photo Credit

First thing you notice about a guy: Eyes. They’re the window to the soul.

Top three favorite qualities in a guy: Funny, caring (but not too obvious about it) and someone who can keep up with me/challenge me.

What is the best way to make a good first impression on you? Say something that is going to make me laugh but then makes me think later. Like a witty joke. A witty joke gets me.

Do you have your eye on anyone at Bates? Nope, but I’ll keep looking.

What is one thing on your Bates bucket list: Steal one of security’s golf carts and drive around campus. That’s how I want to get my first strike.

What is your best advice for guys at Bates (in general): Stop being so scared. If you like a girl, go for it. College is supposed to be the best four years of your life, but don’t let the expectations of what college is supposed to be stop you. A lot of people have FOMO because they think that they will miss out on the college experience if they tell someone they like them. You won’t. 

Becca Carifio is a senior history major at Bates College. Obsessed with coffee, scarves, videos of cute animals and polka dots. Currently trying to convince her parents that reading comic books for her thesis on Wonder Woman during World War II is worth their tuition money.