Campus Cutie: Nora Stoner ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
This week Her Campus Bates is pleased to feature the lovely Nora Stoner ’17 as Campus Cutie! Originally from Silver Spring, Maryland, this junior has won the hearts of many with her poise, good looks and sophistication. As a student, Nora is hardworking and focused, and as friend, she will always be the Robin to your Batman. Check out my interview with Nora to learn why she’s the friend and Commons Crush you need in your life! 

Name: Nora Stoner

Class year: 2017

Hometown: Silver Spring, MD

What are you studying at Bates? Major: Environmental Studies: Health // Minor: Women and Gender Studies

What are you involved in on campus? Peer Writing and Speaking Tutor // Co-President and Captain of the Club Volleyball Team

Something we don’t know about you? I was raised on Quaker values: simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, and stewardship.

What cheers you up? MY DOG (or any dog to be honest). Anything involving Milo will instantly put me in a better mood. 

Favorite study spot on campus? I have a desk I always sit at on the first floor of the library near the Writing Center. I know I won’t get as much done if I’m not sitting there.  

What is your spirit animal? I’ve been told my spirit animal is a bunny. I think it’s pretty fitting. 

What would you do if you won the lottery? Travel!! Then I’d probably donate the rest. That’s a lot of money that I know I’ll never want or need.

If you could have one super power, what would it be and why? Teleportation, hands down! I hate airports and traveling really stresses me out, so being able to be anywhere in the world immediately would be a dream come true.

Who is your role model? My dad. He is the most down-to-earth, logical, and patient person I know. From his own Quaker upbringing, he has definitely taught me the power of simple communication and how important the little things are, like being positive, giving a hug, or finding a really good book to read. 

Favorite book? Ever: “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley. More recently: “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr.

Why Bates? It was a combination of the ES department, the picturesque academic quad, and the idea of having one dining hall to bring together the entire Bates community. 

Describe a dream date: Anything involving a picnic outdoors and either a beautiful day or a sky full of stars.

Favorite food? It’s a tie between strawberries and blueberries (and either of those covered in chocolate will never be denied).

Thanks for being you, Nora, and making Bates great!