Campus Celebrity: Vasin Vivattanakulpanit ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Vasin Vivattanakulpanit is a senior from Thailand who has been living in Maine since his highschool years. This week’s campus celebrity was a Bates Summer Scholar who has been spending his four years at Bates pouring over plenty of biology while finding moments for fun up in the slopes and Maine terrain. During his year abroad, he went on road trips around New Zealand where his days were filled with kayaking, hiking and camping in the woods for days on end. Here at Bates, Vasin sings in the college choir and is always extending a helping hand to all those who need a dash of sweetness or joy in their day. After graduating from Bates this May, he plans on returning back to Thailand where he may embark upon a post-grad Eurotrip. When his wanderlust is partially satiated, he plans to return back to Thailand to pursue either a dental or business degree and to potentially open one of the first health conscious pressed juice bars in Bangkok! Meet this week’s man on the campus!

Tell us where you’re from!

I was born and raised in Thailand. Later, I moved to Maine, so a part of me is also here.

What are three things we don’t know about you?

I can’t handle spicy food. When I tell people that I grew up in Thailand, many people would assume that I like spicy stuff. Everyone in my family except me enjoys adding extra spices and chili.

My sisters used to make fun of me when I ate plain instant noodles without the spice.

When I raise one eyebrow, I can only do it with my right one. I don’t think it’s genetic because I used to be able to do it with my left too when I was younger.

What are your future ambitions after graduation?

I want to travel after graduation. One really learns a lot about himself while being to new places. You get to meet new people and learn about other cultures. My father always tells me that life is a journey and a journey teaches one lessons. I didn’t think about it much at first, but now that I do I appreciate what happens around me more.

What have you enjoyed most during your time here at Bates?

I enjoy being around with my friends. This year has been a very busy year for a lot of my friends and I, but I really enjoy when we have a conversation either it’s just two of us or in a small group with others. I think you learn about others when you listen to their stories. You get to see deeper layers of a person and you also share some with others. I know I’ll miss these people after Bates.

What is your favorite thing to do in Thailand?

I love eating in Thailand. There are so many types of food there. If you get a chance to go there, you need to try everything from street food to fancy restaurants. 

What are some of your hobbies?

I enjoy cooking, although I haven’t had much time to do it this year. Recently, my sisters and I start to get our hands into baking more. I like changing the recipes around, it’s very interesting to see how my creativity plays out. Sometimes they work out fine, while other times my sisters wouldn’t eat what I make.

If you could be a food item, what would you be?

If I could be any type of food, I would be an egg because you can do so many things with it. Some nights I think about what eggs I want to have for breakfast the next day.

Who is your favorite musician these days?

Ed Sheeran is the man. I enjoy many of his songs. My favorite ones are Thinking Out Loud and Don’t.

What is your life philosphy?

My life philosophy is try not to regret later. I don’t mean regretting of what I did, it’s more of regretting what I did not do. It’s worse to wonder what could’ve happened if I did that because I wouldn’t ever know the answer. My parents taught me to always grab the opportunities when they come so I wouldn’t regret later.

HerCampus Bates College Co-Founder Find me at: http://heelsandthesoul.com