Campus Celebrity: Matt Proto ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
Friends, Bobcats, countrymen, lend me your ears. This week Her Campus Bates is pleased to feature the wonderful Matt Proto ’16 as Campus Celebrity! Matt is well known on campus for his outgoing personality and hard work as a student athlete. Her Campus Bates is excited to see everything he accomplishes this lacrosse season and next year when he takes on New York City! 

Name: Matt Proto

Class: 2016

Area of Study: Economics

Hometown: Chatham, N.J.

Campus involvement: Men’s Lacrosse

Do you have any plans for after graduation? Working in NYC.

Tell us about your lacrosse career: I cannot wait to begin my last season with the squad. I play midfield for the team and I get a good amount of time on the defensive side of the ball. Everyone likes to sub me out when I’m on the offensive side of things. It’s still a mystery to me. 

Why Bates? Community feel…whatever that means is why I like it here.

What does a “day in the life of Matt” look like? Typically wake up and shower. The 5 L’s take up the rest of my day: Lib, Lift, Lax, Laundry, Ladies.   

Favorite class at Bates? Anything with good ole’ Carl Schwinn.

One word that describes you? Relentless.

Best way to start a conversation (with Will Cleaves)? WilliaAAAAAAAAm!

Style inspiration: Stefano Stadlinger. Great hair (head and stomach).

What is your spirit animal? Honey badgers. There are some good documentaries to watch if you’re unfamiliar.

Guilty pleasure? Secretly hitting on every Zoo girl.

Favorite food? Papa Johns at Green house.

Favorite childhood memory? Getting an avocado for Christmas.

If you could fly anywhere tomorrow, where would you go? South America, planning on exploring there after graduation.

Favorite quote? “Live without pretending, love without depending, listen without defending, speak without offending.”

Something you can’t live without? My 6 year old Toshiba Handibook Laptop. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Exploring the German Nightclub scene through the production of deep house music.

Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion? Shorts and Timbs.

Favorite Bates memory? The legend that was freshmen year Horstmeyer.

What cheers you up? Running.

Life motto? “Prove them wrong” – A good friend.

Best compliment you’ve ever received? Getting nominated for this! 

Matt, thanks for being you and making Bates great!