Campus Celebrities: Jonathan & Chris Pelz ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
Jonathan and Chris Pelz, class of 2016, grace Bates College each day with their sophistication and style. Originally from New York City, the Pelz twins have made a big name for themselves on campus between their ballroom dancing, academic success and their extensive collection of bow ties. Her Campus Bates had the chance to catch up with the famous duo, a.k.a. the “Bow Tie Twins.”

What are you studying at Bates?

Jonathan: Economics, Japanese, Asian Studies
Chris: Neuroscience and Asian Studies

What are you involved in on campus?

Jonathan: President of the Bates Ballroom team, Taiko Club, Sangai Asia, and Anime Club.
Chris: I am involved with Ballroom Dance, Taiko, Sangai Asia, Anime Club, and I am training to become an ally.

What are some of your hobbies?

Jonathan: I like to watch Japanese anime, collect trading cards, and knit.
Chris: Crocheting, playing video games, reading books for pleasure, writing in my Japanese journal, and playing golf.

Something we don’t know about you?

Jonathan: I can ride a unicycle.
Chris: I have practiced Muay Thai Kickboxing for 8 years.

Is twin telepathy real?

Jonathan: I believe it is. Chris and I usually say the same thing at the same time, and sometimes it can even be a long sentence.
Chris: Twin telepathy is so real, but we have not perfected it yet.

Why Bates?

Jonathan: Its friendly environment and all of the lovely students and professors. 
Chris: I always wanted to go to a small liberal arts college. During the college process, I visited a few, but when I came to Bates, I absolutely fell in love with the campus and the people. The friends I have made here are some of the most supportive, inspiring, and fun individuals I will ever meet in my life.  

How long does it take you guys to get ready? You always look great!

Jonathan: Usually 20 minutes, but one time I woke up late for an exam, and I was able to suit up in 2 minutes. Bow tie and all.
Chris: It usually takes me 30 minutes to get ready in the morning. That is including both getting dressed and things such as washing my face and doing my hair.

Tell us about a “day in the life of a Pelz”

Jonathan: We do our homework together, goof off and take videos and photos with each other to post on social media, do some more homework, and have bro time, which usually consists of going to the den or playing video games on the weekend.
Chris: A day in the life of a Pelz: First of all, I might have to write a memoir with this title. We both wake up at 6:20 and do our daily morning routines together. We eat every meal together, and do all of the same club activities, yet because we have different majors, we go to different classes. It is usually in between classes that our daily “Pelz Bro Shenanigans” happen. Some of these shenanigans entail posting photos of us to facebook, instagram,  and snapchat, or using the “slomo” option on my iPhone to record videos of us. I think this stems from our dream to one day be “internet sensations.” Occasionally we have arguments, but they always dissipate fairly quickly, and most of our friends who hear our arguments break out in laughter, for they are always about the silliest of things. In the evening, if we have time, we will watch cartoons together. Finally, during the night, we go to study in an academic building, walk home together, and then go to bed. We also try to plan and coordinate what we are going to wear the next day. 

Advice for new students at Bates?

Jonathan: Use your time wisely and do your homework early, but never stress out too much. There’s always time for broing.
Chris: Do not be afraid to be yourself. You should not have to worry about what others think about you. If you enjoy wearing flamboyant clothing, do it! If you like putting stuffed animals on your backpack, then rock those stuffed animals! It’s always a nice feeling to be able to express yourself and to be happy as you do it without the fear of what others think.