8 Slam Poems by Women Who Absolutely Killed It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

We’ve been really into slam poetry this week at Her Campus Bates. Insightful, funny and oh-so beautiful, these poems were the ones that left us in awe. Snaps for you, ladies. 

Photo Credit

1. Dominique Christina – “The Period Poem” 

Best line: “That body wrapped you in everything that was miraculous about it and sang you lullabies laced in platelets, without which you wouldn’t have no Twitter account at all motherf***er, I digress.” 

2. Desireé Dallagiacomo & Justin Lamb – “The Friend Zone” 

(Okay, so Justin Lamb isn’t a female slam poet. Cut us some slack, though. This poem is dope.) 

Best line: “We know these points have been made before, but there is one question that everyone overlooks – who the F*** complains about being placed in something called the friend zone? It sounds AWESOME.”

3. Denice Frohman – “Dear Straight People”

Best line: “Dear hip-hop, why you fascinated with discovering gay rappers? Gay people rap, just like gay people ride bikes and eat tofu.” 

4. Sarah Kay – “If I Should Have A Daughter” 

Best line: “And I’m going to paint solar systems on the backs of her hands, so she has to learn the entire universe before she can say, ‘Oh, I know that like the back of my hand.'” 

5. Kai Davis – “I Look Like” 

Best line: “White people think they run sh*t because they have money to buy a thesaurus. You say ‘gargantuan’, I say ‘big as sh*t’. Still ‘big as sh*t’, it don’t really matter, I guess AP stands for ‘asshole pretentiousness’, and if you don’t know what that means, look it up, find a synonym, you like doing that sh*t.” 

6. Clementine von Radics – “For Teenage Girls” 

Best line: “Little girls with big ideas are much scarier than monsters.”

7. Desireé Dallagiacomo – “Thighs”

(Another one from Desireé, but it’s just too good to pass up.) 

Best line: “My thighs feel upset becaue you only offered one bite of your Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia. My thighs say more, please.” 

8. Justice Hehir, Kate Thomas, Lindsey Michelle Williams and Lillie Hannon – “Rape Poem To End All Rape Poems” 

Best line: “We wouldn’t need so many damn rape poems if American had listened the first time.” 

This list barely scratches the surface of the awesome female slam poets out there. Got a favorite? We’d love to know. 

HCB out. 

Photo Credit

Becca Carifio is a senior history major at Bates College. Obsessed with coffee, scarves, videos of cute animals and polka dots. Currently trying to convince her parents that reading comic books for her thesis on Wonder Woman during World War II is worth their tuition money.