alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Lessons Learned When Reaching Adulthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

This past week, I turned eighteen. I am officially an adult now—I can vote, get a tattoo, buy a lottery ticket, get a Costco membership, gamble etc. According to the law, I am a grown up, so this made me think back to when I was a kid and what I thought of adulthood then. When I was in elementary school, my expectations and perceptions of what being a “grown up” would be like were very different than reality. Below is a list of my misconceptions and realizations of adulthood.

1.     People don’t actually sing about everything they are doing the way Disney did it

Photo Credit

2.     Summer jobs are rarely as exciting as High School Musical 2 makes them seem

Photo Credit

3.     Missing school because you’re sick isn’t fun anymore

Photo Credit

4.     You no longer wake up at five in the morning for your birthday

Photo Credit

5.     Getting your license is as fun as it seems

Photo Credit

6.     Mom and dad lied, spinach doesn’t actually make it easier to see fairies

Photo Credit

7.     But they also told the truth–there in fact are not any monsters under your bed or behind your shower curtain

Photo Credit

8.     Unlike Cinderella, you actually don’t usually get married to a prince when you’re 16

Photo Credit

9.     Being able to jump to the fourth rung on the monkey bars is no longer a qualification for being cool

Photo Credit

10.  Clowns are still terrifying 

Photo Credit

Isa Barrengos is a freshman at Bates College from Northern California. Outside of school, she enjoys hiking, watching 30 Rock and taking ugly selfies on other people's phones.
Jane is a senior at Bates College, majoring in English and minoring in History. Outside of class, she dances ballet and practices yoga, religiously listens to Dave Matthews Band, and is a firm believer that dark chocolate acts as a well-rounded meal.