Why I Joined a Sorority, Even Though I Said I Never Would

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

“I would never join a sorority!” I told my friends and family right before coming to college, as well as during the twenty-five tours I took of isolated, small liberal arts colleges in the middle of nowhere.

Fast-forward to Sophomore year of college, I can honestly say joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I have made. Furthermore, why I stayed in a sorority is more important than why I joined.

I think sometimes we’re too quick to judge something that seems so different from what we’ve known or have been taught to value. Going through recruitment during the spring semester of my freshmen year, after a bunch of my friends convinced me, and actually talking to girls who decided to join the Greek community, confirmed my hopes. I now knew there were so many reasons to join a sorority other than the usual 1) to make new friends and 2) to meet guys. Spoiler: yes these things happen too, don’t worry.

Recruitment itself was pretty nerve-racking, and unfortunately a little too reminiscent of a beauty pageant. Then when you first join a sorority, you won’t instantly have 200 best friends, although saying this might romanticize the ease with which relationships are formed. Just like any relationship, the bonds you make among your sorority sisters, the supposed life-long bonds, take time. But I’ve found if you’re open to meeting new people and taking the time to get involved in anything from holiday cookie parties to clothing drives, to supporting your sisters at dance performances, it’s beyond worth it.

The girls that I’ve met through my sorority are some of the most driven, supportive, and strong women I’ve ever known. Many of them are now my closest friends, who I’ve shared intimate problems with over bubble tea at 1 am, who’ve stayed up explaining economics to the utterly-confused English major that I am, who’ve let me stay at their apartments during breaks, and who’ve shared laughs about Joe Biden memes and the importance of naps. The connections are real if you make them real. They have inspired me to actually get involved in philanthropy, not just for the resume, but for the experience. Participating in our annual Walk a Mile for the first time last Spring, to raise awareness for domestic violence, made me feel so proud to be a part of something larger than our local chapter.

People genuinely wanted to get to know me and now welcoming new members into the chapter, I’m excited to do the same. College can be isolating, extremely stress-inducing, and confusing, especially with so many opportunities available and decisions to make; it leaves you feeling overwhelmed and like you have to do more. Joining a sorority gave me insight into how these put-together women were dealing with the same things that overwhelm me, or were struggling equally to cope. The only other experience I can compare being in a sorority to, is going to sleepaway camp, and living with a bunch of other girls who shared their secrets, as well as their toothpaste, with me.

I understand that sororities aren’t right for everyone and I completely respect those not interested in Greek life. I think sororities in general get a of bad rep from over-hyped movies or highly-publicized scandals.

Some problems I think sororities can face in general are lack of diversity, be it financially, culturally, or racially, and a reliance on old traditions or rules, such as the fact that fraternities can throw parties and have alcohol in their houses, but sororities can’t–something which is clearly sexist.

I can’t speak for other chapters or sororities, but I can say that having a diverse, interesting body of sisters who come from a range of places and backgrounds, and who have different majors and are willing to share their experiences with us, is one of the reasons I value mine so much. What I didn’t want, was a picturesque white house filled with barbie-look alikes and gossipy vibes. I wanted somewhere I could feel accepted and be a part of a community that had my back and made me branch out my experiences and thinking; which is exactly what I found in my chapter (Alpha Chi Omega).