SWUG Life: Reality Sets in for the SWUG

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Recently I have been informed that there are fewer than 40 days between now and graduation. I know this because I celebrated the wonderful occasion by drinking a 40 on Low Steps in the freezing cold and pouring rain. It was awesome.

However, this is not the only way I am able to tell that we are quickly approaching May 17. The change is all around us. We are no longer thinking of this date as something far off in the future. The time is now. We have to soak up the last moments we have here. While we will always be SWUGs at heart, during these last few weeks of school we have permission to be as sentimental as we wants. That’s what it’s all about really—being a SWUG—doing whatever the heck we want!

Image via giphy.com

I know that all of us are in the midst of 8 million job interviews, finalizing our theses, looking for apartments in the city, deciding what part of the world is calling out to us, and making crazy plans for the future—but let’s not forget to enjoy these final moments. Somehow it becomes a race to get to the finish line. But what we should really be doing right now is celebrating all of the accomplishments we have already had!

We have survived (almost) 8 semesters at this crazy school and we are better because of it! We have survived the QUAD, Hewitt Dining Hall, the awkward freshman year social life (I don’t know, maybe it’s still awkward for most of us), the Mel’s line (and every other bar), unreal internships, crazy classes, eight semesters of final papers and exams, living in NYC for four years, and SO MUCH MORE in between. We are Barnard Bears roaring so loudly that the whole world can hear us!

Okay, maybe that’s a little much—but you get the point. Enjoy these days and remember to CELEBRATE yourself and all you have accomplished every single day from now until May 17 and beyond!