To Splurge or to Save? The Stockings Quandary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

“Tights,” “Stockings,” “Hose”—All of these words refer to an item of clothing that is  incredibly functional and prevalent in the wardrobes of women, of all ages, around the world. And yet, these sartorial staples seem to almost always go un-mentioned when people write about fashion and style, except for statements like “Wear patterned or woven tights to add texture to an outfit” or “Use a bright pair of tights to bring color to a monochrome outfit.” How can something that has been so present in women’s apparel over decades and decades be relegated to the status of an afterthought? Think about it: In the 1920’s, fishnet stockings were a symbol of the notorious flappers, women who flouted acceptable behavioral norms. Forty years later, in the sixties, the black opaque style of tights came into vogue because the likes of Edie Sedgwick and Twiggy sported them with their micro-minis, breaking fashion traditions at the same time as the social movements of that era were breaking social traditions. Throughout the decades, these accessories have transcended time by changing their style and in effect, the styles of various periods. In 2012, the question of tights became relevant as a result of their consistent appearance in the outfits of one Duchess Catherine of Cambridge

Pictures of Kate Middleton and her sister Pippa sporting sheer stockings during the summer sparked a comeback for the style, which for many years, women such as myself have shunned because of their stuffiness. Regardless of whether you believe sheer flesh tone stockings harken back to an era of repressive style, or you are embracing them for their aesthetic benefits (i..e evening of skin tone, smoothing appearance under clothes) one thing is clear: tights, stockings, hose, whatever you want to call them, are here to say.

I am going to venture to guess that if you are reading this, you own at least one pair of tights and have probably owned dozens in your lifetime, if not more. Undoubtedly, at one point or another, your tights have brought color, texture, shine, or sparkle to your outfit—or dare I say, even served the practical function of keeping your legs warm. It is with this notion that I have to ask if tights are such a perennial style staple,  why is there such a huge disparity in quality between high and low price point brands of hosiery?

We have all been there ladies. You buy a new pair of tights from the drugstore (ex. L’eggs), which will run you around $5-7, or a pair from a department store, such as Hue or DKNY, which range in cost from $13-75-$20. Then comes the day when you excitedly decide to wear said tights, and within a few hours you have an unsightly run, tear or hole in them—a giant cold sore on your outfit, if you will. I speak from experience when I say that it is incredibly frustrating to buy a pair of DKNY tights only to have a run in them less an hour after you put them on. There was a time, not too long ago, when this grunge look was all the rage. However, for those of us who can’t pull it off without looking ridiculous, the frustration of not getting any value for your money  in the product you purchase, or constantly having repurchase a style staple lingers way after you toss your once-worn tights in the garbage bin. It should be said that as a dress wearer, tights are essential for me, but I do not doubt that other girls have experienced similar discontent.

When I was sixteen years old, during the fall on my junior year of high school, I saved up my babysitting money to purchase my very pair of black matte opaque Wolford stockings. I planned to wear them for the first time on a date with my first boyfriend.  Needless to say, by the spring, the runs and tears of my relationship were very visible and my first boyfriend and I broke up. Over 5 years later, however, I still have my tights, not a run or tear in sight (they have minor pilling at the ankles, which considering how often I wear them is beyond excusable). These tights, whose price tag might make you exclaim, “ $52.00??? For tights?!?!”  have been worth their weight in gold. They have outlasted both young love and the onset of trends galore. I have worn them so much that the cost per wear is probably close to $0.00, which is awfully appealing in comparison to a once-worn $20.00 pair.

Not everyone will agree with me, but I cannot predict that tights will remain anything but fashionable for decades to come. With that in mind along with the notably huge quality disparity in the market, perhaps the best thing a fashion-forward girl could do would be to save her money and invest in a pair of stockings from brands like Falke or Wolford.  You would get excellent mileage out of them and the satisfaction of knowing you got your money’s worth. After all, there is nothing more chic than practicality, especially when it comes to matters of the wallet. 

Art History Major. Personal style blogger. Glamour addict. Diamonds-for-breakfast.blogspot.com