Shensi Ding: Extracurricular Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Shensi Ding

Hometown: Wayland, Massachusetts

School/Year: SEAS 2015

Major: I’m majoring in Computer Science and minoring in Economics.

What are you most looking forward to for your senior spring? Finally sleeping more!

Tell us a little bit about what you do on campus: I’m currently the Senior Class President for Engineering Student Council (ESC), Vice Chair for Columbia Engineering Senior Fund, and a Senior Advisor for both the Columbia Economics Society and Lion Credit Union Initiative. I’ve invited people to all of these club events throughout these last few years so I just wanted to let you all know that I’m sorry.

Best class you have taken at Columbia/Barnard so far: Art Hum. I never really “got” art until I took this class at the same time as Basic Drawing.

Favorite college memory: I don’t like to rank my experiences because I want every experience to be a good one.

Ideal first date: Just give me food, and I will like you.

Top 5 things you want to do before you graduate:

1. Not messing up my graduation speech would be really cool.
  2. Try more food places in Morningside Heights since I probably won’t be able to come back here much in the future.
  3. Meet more people!
  4. Hang out more with my already-existing people!
  5. Remain emotionally and socially immersed in this environment until my graduation. I want to be ready to leave Columbia when it’s time.

Oren’s, Joe or Starbucks? Depends what I’m looking for: Oren’s for the Almond Milk Latte, Joe’s for the ambience and loitering fun, and Starbucks for the quantity.

What is your go-to TV show to binge watch? Keeping Up With The Kardashians (lol, don’t judge me).

Biggest pet-peeve: Meeting people over and over again and never having them remember or acknowledge you. Also, I don’t like mean people.

Something you wish you had known as a freshman: Well, freshman Shensi was very stupid so there’s a lot. Probably the biggest thing that I wish I knew was that the things that made me sad didn’t actually matter at all and I’d get over it.

Surprising fact about yourself: I’m half Korean and half Chinese. Surprise!!

Qualities you look for in a guy: Ambition, intelligence, and a good sense of humor. A good-looking face definitely can’t hurt.

Favorite getting ready song: I probably wouldn’t be able to get a job in the future if I wrote it.