Senior [Section Editor] Saturday: Lily Morris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

For this week’s Senior Saturday, garner some wisdom from our very own Campus Celebrity Editor and graduating senior, Lily! 

Name: Lily Morris

School and Year: Barnard College ‘16

Major: Art History 

1. What made you decide to come to Barnard? 

Barnard babysitting and the fact that Sarah Jessica Parker used the service. 

2. Thoughts on the Nine Ways of Knowing?

I love the Nine Ways! Specifically, how open it is. You can take so many different classes to fulfill the requirements and aren’t not stuck trying to complete boring requirements for two years.

3. What is your favorite study spot on campus?

Favorite study spot is definitely Brooks Lounge. I’m probably the only upperclassman to say that. I just love the big comfy chairs. 

4. What’s the best class you’ve taken thus far and why?

Intro to Women’s and Gender Studies. It really opened my eyes to how we systematically marginalize so many people. Plus, it’s kind of a must at a women’s college. 

5. Who is your hero here at school? 

My friends. So many are involved in amazing clubs, programs, jobs etc. It’s hard not to feel trivial compared to the work that some of them do, but they just inspire me to push harder. This school truly is incredible. We are surrounded by so many brilliant people! Truly the future leaders of this country. It makes me so incredibly proud to say that I’ve attended Barnard. 

6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?

I wish I knew the answer to this question! It would make finding a job a lot easier. I don’t see myself in New York in five years, but maybe in California where I’m settled in my career. I judge success off of happiness, so, if I’m happy in five years, then I’ll know I’m doing something right. 

7. If you had to give one piece of advice to the incoming freshmen, what would it be?

Try everything. You only have four years and they go by quickly. Soak up everything you can. After graduation, New York becomes even more expensive so go out to that expensive restaurant or performance because you’re not going to be able to afford it later.