dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Pro Dating Tips to Find Love in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

October is almost upon us, ladies. Cuffing season will be in full swing by the time you take your first midterm, and for some of us, that means apple picking with our best friends or sipping pumpkin spice lattes in a cafe downtown. While we’re all empowered, independent, passionate, dedicated, bold and beautiful, there’s no harm in having a special someone to take cute winter pics with us and binge-watch Narcos when the weather outside is frightful. The question is, how?

Get out of the MoHi bubble.

I know, I know. But trust me, there is a whole world of eligible bachelors in the greatest city in the world just waiting to sweep you off your feet. Next time you plan Saturday brunch, skip Community and head to the West Village or Murray Hill to meet an NYU grad or a former frat bro turned investment banker, respectively. 

Be forward.

Girl, I’m telling you. Guys love this. I can give you all the tips and hacks and tricks in the world, but if you don’t say point blank “I like you”, “I think you’re cute”, “Let’s grab a bite to eat” etc., they’ll never know how you feel… and you have nothing to lose! Guys who are lured by hard-to-get strategies need to be avoided like the plague. Trust me on this one.

Utilize your friends.

If the last tip rubbed you the wrong way, this is a surefire way to approach a guy you like without actually doing it. Ask your friends to give that cute guy in the corner your number, or ask your BFF’s boyfriend to set you up with one of his friends. Ask, and you shall receive. 

Get tickets to a sports game. 

If you asked me what I know about hockey, basketball, baseball, football etc., I’d probably impress you. And I would be lying. One of the great pleasures of being in a new relationship is over exaggerating your shared interests and frantically googling “football for dummies” when he’s in the bathroom. In all seriousness, one of the great pleasures of living in NYC is that there is no shortage of sports games to attend, and no shortage of single guys at these events. Bring a friend and a few napkins with your number on it and have fun with it!

XO

Gigi DB

Half Azerbaijani, half Belgian, 100% peanut butter.