Phil Merkin: Ryan Reynolds Has Nothing on Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Phil Merkin

Hometown: Englewood, New Jersey

School/Year: Columbia College, Senior

Major: Economics with a concentration in Psychology

Relationship? Comfortably single

Tell us a little bit about what you do on campus: I co-founded an inter-college unofficial Whiskey and Wine Appreciation club that meets weekly at different neighborhood bars. I also enjoy playing intramural basketball.

Favorite place you have traveled to: I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to leave a place less than Maui, Hawaii, which feels like a good measure to me. It might have had something to do with some very misguided highlights I got in my hair that I didn’t want anyone outside of my immediate family to see. Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Scotland, where I spent four of the best months of my life studying abroad in Edinburgh.

Celebrity crush: Blake Lively.

Any hidden talents? I’m pretty good at planning trips. Could be a day-trip upstate to some breweries/cideries, a jaunt in Liverpool, or a 5-day excursion to Iceland. Booking and scouting out things to do is kind of my jam.

Three things you cannot live without:

1. Italian food
  2. Movies/TV
  3. My Bed

* I feel like people usually say ‘my family’ – sorry guys

Westside or Milano? Now this is a question I’m actually qualified to answer having lived exactly between the two for the better part of the past two years. No disrespect to Westside, you’ve been there for me more times than I can count, but Milano just makes a better sandwich, albeit for a higher price. If you’re just buying beer or chips, please walk the extra block and a half and go to Westside.

One class you would recommend to everyone: The American Economy taugh by Professor Davidson was a pretty cool class that actually gives you a good idea of what’s going on with the country. Interesting lectures, no heavy reading and fair tests. Also, if you can take any class with Professor Peter Passaglini, do it. Hands down the best professor I’ve had.

Biggest turn off: Taking yourself too seriously.

If you were to host a theme party, what would the theme be? I’d say Gatsby/Jazz Age, but that’s kind of played out, so I’ll go with Luau (still thinking about Maui, clearly).

Craziest thing you have done in college: Never giving up on myself. Totally kidding, I do that about three times a week. I guess going to a midnight movie the Thursday night before Friday’s Lit Hum final my first semester was pretty crazy/idiotic. I enjoyed the movie, can’t say the same for my grade.

Favorite thing about spring semester: It means that summer is just around (a really long, exhausting, and seemingly never ending) corner.

Describe your ideal mate: We already know my celebrity crush is Blake Lively. Seeing as how she’s currently into some guy Ryan, I’ll say someone funny, smart, adventurous, can laugh at themselves, and who likes pizza. Oh, and pretty.