This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Article by: Sara Lanclos

It is so extraordinary to me how one singular item can have an impact on so tremendously much. The sun. Maybe this immense impact proves not so surprising when taken into consideration the importance the sun has had, in the way way past, in regulating human activity. 

This immense impact also proves not surprising when taken into consideration the fact that the sun is pertinent to photosynthesis for use by various plants to maintain the sum of all life that exists on earth. 

Sun light takes eight point three minutes to travel from the surface of the sun onto earth and this source is from what we all rely. 

The winter is bleak, and the intense academic rigor of this institution does not positively impact the wellbeing of the majority of students in attendance. 

This past spring break, if spent either on campus or in various locales along the east coast, was brutal and cold. Snow fell, ice crystallised and hail quickly turned into sleet and morphed into black slush which hampered commute both on feet and on wheels. 

However, recently, beginning at least in early April, the sun has been extraordinarily radiant and has blessed this campus with beautiful light and warmth. And, generally, for most and, specifically, for me, the days have been tremendously brighter, filled with much more radiance both from the sky as well as from the intense increase in the light and joy that i feel, the mass amount of times a day that a smile spreads, wide, across my face and the number of times i burst out into a tremendous laugh, unexpected and completely unprompted. 

Every day at this school is unbelievably stressful and time feels ill wasted if not spent  at work, studying, preparing, reading thick books and completing problem sets. But, please, it will do so much good if at least a couple of minutes are spent in some relation to the sun. Sitting down or laying out and basking on one of our many lawns, or in a library even – in front of a stream of light escaping in through the windows. 

The sun does so much good, embrace it and spend some time in the light! 

Much love,

Sara 

Sydney Hotz

Columbia Barnard

Sydney is in love with New York City, dogspotting, and chorizo tacos. She's an aspiring novelist, a Barnard feminist, and might deny she was born in New Jersey.