This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

To know that the world’s most talented fashion designers and industry moguls convene for one week just blocks away from the Columbia/Barnard bubble is fascinating. Just think: while we were running to class, studying in the library or eating in the dining hall, some of the biggest influencers of fashion were a few miles down the road making history.

In case you’re like us and were too busy living your normal college life to keep up with the happenings of last week’s NYFW, here’s a recap of the top moments you missed:

1. Yeezy Season 4 was an absolute disaster:

Kanye West’s signature label held its Spring/Summer 2017 show on Roosevelt Island on a humid summer day. The show started an hour and 40 minutes late when his wife, Kim Kardashian, finally arrived. Since the show was held outside, the models were so overheated that they had to sit and drink water in the middle of the show and in a few cases, be escorted off the the runway. Some models even fell on catwalk because their heels broke. All in all, this was one of Kanye’s biggest fails of all time.

2. Thakoon launches DFN: Designer Fashion Now:

Following in the footsteps of other designers, including Tom Ford and Tommy Hilfiger, Thakoon’s show did not feature items for Spring/Summer 2017. Rather, the designer displayed items for the current season- fall. Along with each seat in the show came a lookbook, which could be scanned with a special fashion app. This app would give viewers an in-depth analysis of each piece in the Thakoon show with the option to buy some of the items straight off the runway. This tech-savvy show was just a taste of what is to come for many other designers in the age of Snapchat, Instagram and instant gratification. 

3. Jason Wu takes inspiration from Art

Wu is normally known for his conservative, yet funky designs made for classy leading ladies such as Michelle Obama and Diane Kruger. This season, however, Wu took his work to a new level. His Summer/Spring 2017 collection featured unexpected cutouts, neon adornments and sheer material- all meant to evoke the work of mixed media artist, Ugo Rondinone. 

4. Desigual models become Snapchat filters:

To contrast the “filtered” look, some models wore the “unfiltered” look with little to no makeup. 

5. Tommy Hilfiger x Gigi Hadid:

Tommy Hilfiger unveiled his collaboration with supermodel and social media star, Gigi Hadid. The collection featured looks inspired by Hadid’s personal style as well as Hilfiger’s classic nautical theme, as seen by the sailor jacket Hadid wore to open the show. After the show, guests enjoyed going on carnival rides, getting temporary tatoos and eating cotton candy, all of which was provided by Hilfiger and his team. 

Leora Herman

Columbia Barnard