The Muslim Protagonist Presents: (Re)writing Home: Shifting Sites of Belonging

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Are you a literature nerd or an aspiring writer looking to break from Butler this Saturday?

If so, we’ve got the perfect event for you.  Starting at 9:00 AM in Davis Auditorium, the Columbia Muslim Students Association (MSA) will present their annual literary symposium, The Muslim Protagonist. 

Image by Dayana Khatib 

Members of the Her Campus Barnard team have attended the symposium in past years and enjoyed lectures from a variety of Muslim and minority artists, writers, and thinkers on critical topics, such as literature as a vehicle for social change and writing from a minority’s perspective, that remain relevant to all female writers.

This year’s symposium, “(Re)writing Home: Shifting Sites of Belonging,” will focus on the theme of home, in all of its myriad connotations.  Various speakers will explore the notion of home as a site of transformation, refuge, trauma, healing, and growth and address the themes of belonging, alienation, and migration.  The symposium will examine the notion of home in the context of nation and nationality, as well as how it becomes inscribed and reinscribed by borders, frontiers, and boundaries.

Some of the speakers for this year’s symposium include Geeta Chopra, Lena Khan, Zia Haider Rahman, Ayesha Siddiqi, Hind Makki, and Jordan Alam and Sharbari Ahmad.  Buy your ticket here and start changing narrative history! More information about the event is available at: 2016.themuslimprotagonist.com.

Najet Fazai

Columbia Barnard