photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Thanksgiving falls on the last Thursday of November and is the largest American nationwide holiday. Students and families travel home to their parents’ house to cut the turkey and get together. Today, people share a feast and family drama at the dinner table to commemorate Native Americans and the Pilgrims’ successful harvest coming together to break bread.

An event that has been a staple in the culture of the celebration is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The parade travels through New York City and the first was held in 1924, which went for only two blocks. The fun event celebrates Thanksgiving and the coming of Christmas.

Since then, balloons, performers, and floats were introduced, growing in number each year. Americans tune into the broadcast on NBC starting at 9 am.

Here’s what we expected to see now in 2019. Coming this year were five new balloons and five new floats. Astronaut Snoopy, Smokey Bear, Spongebob Squarepants, and his pet Gary join as balloons for the festivities. Some of the new floats were Blue’s Clues and You with the new host Josh Dela Cruz, and New York Life’s Toy House of Marvelous Milestones with Kelly Rowland, formerly of Destiny’s Child. The LEGO Brick Changer is also a new float, with a performance by my favorite group, NCT 127.

The classics will still be in the parade, like the Sesame Street float with 43 consecutive years and Tom Turkey, the longest-running title float. There were a total of 34 floats, 30 balloons, 7 balloonicles, 20 performers, 8 performance groups, and 11 marching bands marching in the parade today. Rewatch Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade to relive all the excitement!

Kara Boub is a first year student at Susquehanna University, with a major in creative writing. She loves spending her free time (if any) reading and watching YouTube videos.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University