Little Travel Journal: The Five Guys You’ll Meet Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

In a land down under that some might call Bae-ven, there are five guys you will meet while abroad in Australia — and I’m not talking about the amazing burger you can get on 110th. These are the 5 best types of people that you will have the pleasure of meeting during your time down under. 

1. The First Year

As an exchange student, you will most likely spend your time with first years. Don’t fret! For the most part, they are pretty cool. Your first year mate will offer you a sweet and soft introduction to Australian lovers and will always be down to chill. He will be cute, somewhat innocent, and obviously fall head-over-heels for you. American girls are kryptonite to the first year Aussie.

2. The One who Reads You Bedtime Stories

We all have those nights where we’re stumbling back home wishing we hadn’t had that last drink. That’s when this special person comes into play, as he sits there until you fall asleep and deal with all your needy demands. Despite the slight embarrassment, this friendship will be a high point of your study abroad experience. 

3. The European

Yes, there are more than just Aussies in Australia. Let’s not forget about the beautiful blond Europeans who will make your heart skip a beat. Always ready for an adventure to fill up your super Euro Instagram (#livingthedream), the Euro boys know the way to a girl’s heart and are not afraid to make a move.

4. The Party Planner

This person will be your first friend abroad, and will likely become your go-to for anything and everything ranging from speakeasies to concerts to restaurants. He knows all the good places and is the key to all your good nights. Suffice to say, home won’t feel so far with this guy around. He will never leave you at a party unhappy.

5. The Australian

Ah, the Australian. A sweetheart, the one you instantly love, and the one that you will never find anywhere else. This guy will become your confidant. Classes will never feel lonely or boring with him there. Most of all, he will always be down for a post-class celebratory beer at the bar on campus because (yay!) you survived lecture!

So, ladies, leave your heels at home. Come over to ‘bae-ven’ with your favorite plaid shirt and best bikini. The key word here is “chill.” These boys will steal your heart and all you can do is go along for the ride. The beautiful adventure that is Australia has only just begun.