Jess Chi, CC ’15: Happily Having It All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

1. Is there anything you haven’t been involved in on campus?! Tell us about 2-3 groups you’ve belonged to that have changed your life the most. Feel free to list all the others you’re a part of too!

Ha! I know that’s a rhetorical question, but there are actually so many things on campus in which I could never even dream of being involved given my lack of talent. Like sports… I’m the least athletic person you’ll ever meet in your life.

One organization that has majorly changed my life (and in such a short period of time!) is the Panhellenic Association. As President, I’ve been able to meet and work with tons of unbelievably passionate, hard-working, and driven people, both within my council and across the Greek community. They all inspire me to be a better leader and a better version of myself. Working with the Residential Programs student staff – and, more specifically, the Resident Advisers of Wien Hall – has taught me so much about the true value of teamwork. Lastly, The 119th Varsity Show gave me the most exhilarating performing experience I’ll probably ever have, as well as some of the best friends in the world.

Apart from that, I serve as the Curriculum Coordinator for Heights-to-Heights Mentoring (a youth program under Community Impact), work as a Columbia Campus Representative for Victoria’s Secret PINK, and am a proud member of Sigma Delta Tau Sorority. I’ve also acted in XMAS! and with the Columbia Musical Theatre Society.

2. All collegiettes could use some time-management advice. What’s your secret to accomplishing everything and still having time for yourself? Have you made any sacrifices?

NEVER SLEEP! Just kidding… Sort of.

No, but really, I’m probably the last person you’d want to take time management advice from since I’m almost always either frantically running around or being lazy and watching YouTube videos in bed, but here goes: I like to make lots of comprehensive to-do lists and mark EVERYTHING in my iCal, including “Me Time.” I know this might sound incredibly pathetic, but scheduling “Read InStyle” or “Watch Movie” forces me to actually squeeze some time for myself in between classes, meetings, and other commitments. I’ve certainly had to make some sacrifices over the past few years… like sleep… but those sacrifices have allowed me to do all the things I genuinely enjoy doing, so I’m not complaining.

3. Favorite spring fashion staple and scent?

I love sundresses, especially in floral prints. Also, as a beauty junkie, I’m very excited to try out this spring’s bright orange lip trend. My “signature scent” is Flora by Gucci in Gorgeous Gardenia — I wear it year-round, but it’s particularly great for spring! 

4. How will you be spending your pre-senior summer?

I’m going to be working as a Marketing Intern at L’Oréal USA! I don’t know my exact brand and category assignment yet, but I do know I’ll be interning with one of L’Oréal’s Consumer Products Division brands: Essie, Garnier, L’Oréal Paris, Maybelline New York, or SoftSheen-Carson.

5. The best thing you do every day to stay sane?

Eat loads of carbs! And listen to Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” on repeat while getting ready in the morning; I’m (still) obsessed with that song.

Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.