An Introvert in a Public Speaking Seminar

Posted -

I felt really uneasy as my professor went through the syllabus on the first day of class. Six speeches in one semester: my living nightmare. After the first class, I listened to my fellow classmates talk about their experiences on their high school debate teams, and I immediately felt intimidated. In high school, I hid in my school’s journalism room, dreaded any sort of presentation I had to give and had the reputation of being quiet. 

I know to some, giving a speech in front of fifteen people does not seem daunting. Yet for the first two speeches I gave, anxiety took over no matter what I did. During one speech, I told myself beforehand, “There are only 15 people in this class watching you. Don’t get nervous.” I felt calm as I told myself this statement over and over again until I stood up to speak. The nerves proceeded to take over my body, and I could hear my voice tremble as I spoke.

During one of the first classes, my professor told us she would prefer for us all not to read a written out speech, but rather have notes in front of us for reference. I decided to attempt this method during my first speech, and from my recollection, I did a terrible job. As I spoke, I got confused as to what my point even was and said “um” a bunch of times. I noticed a lot of my classmates who read from their papers gave much better speeches, so I thought I should give in and just do the same. However, one class, my professor commended me for my efforts in trying to give a speech without a written one in front of me. This form of a compliment really encouraged me to keep trying this method of giving a speech, with only bullet point notes in front of me, even if I was terrible at it.

My semester would probably be a lot easier if I did not have to prep speeches and debate points all the time. However, I stuck with the class because I know public speaking is a necessary skill in life. With each speech, I become more comfortable and less intimidated. I will never enjoy public speaking and I will probably never be extremely gifted in it. However, I feel more comfortable speaking in front of people now and I’ve learned how to speak without a written out script in front of me. Overall, I may not be the best in the class, but at least I can walk away with a new skill that I did not have before.

About The Author

Rachel is currently trying to navigate her freshman year in New York City. Despite being an LA native, she is not a beach lover and would much rather have deep, intellectual conversations with people while staying true to an introverted lifestyle. She also loves Myers-Briggs personality types, fashion, and chocolate. 

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login