Ice Skating Feature: Where to Go, What to Wear, and the Aftermath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

The grey scenery and uninvited wind chill that threatens to break your face into pieces is far from gone. Leaving home (and your slipper socks) for the evil that exists outside seems less than dreamy, but there are rare occasions in which daring New Yorkers brave the climate and even enjoy the mood the cold brings. Before the ice melts and we all begin to feel a little more stable on our feet, why not take advantage of the intimate ice skating experience Manhattan celebrates? If you love holding hands with your friends (or significant other) while noisily pretending to be horrified and are hoping to radiate sophistication in the middle of a park or plaza, keep reading. There’s nothing to wake you up on a melancholy morning like a threatening surface filled with preteen boys on hockey skates ready to knock you over and a nervous population of what seems like interpretive dancers.

Where to go: Before you select an ice skating destination, realize that this pastime should not involve an actual body of water that has “froze over.” Lifeguards for ice skating should be a real thing, but since it’s not, avoid anything resembling a pond, stream, or the Hudson. The safest place to be spotted gliding away is Central Park’s Wollman Rink. Near the 59th street entrance of this magnificent piece of “wilderness,” Wollman makes you feel like a true star as you spin to the latest pop remixes. You might even decide to plan your next birthday party here with a moonlit skating event. Tickets can be purchased in advance and large groups can make reservations. Then there’s the Christmas tree-less but still stunning Rockefeller Center, arguably the most special place in Manhattan. Ice skating among golden statues, flags, and fountains that light up in colors involve moments that don’t only exist in stories.

What to wear: If you were one of those wannabe edgy young girls who chose figure skating over ballet (and took pride in bragging to your friends how to sharpen those blades), you realize the necessity of the perfect skating outfit. Channeling your inner Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen, depending on your attitude, must’ve involved interesting sleeves, an exclusive, shimmering skirt and beige tights to perfectly contrast. Nobody except for you will respect this ensemble when the temperature turns on us again. Competitive ice skater and Barnard Sophomore Marlena Holter advises potential skaters to “always wear a headband, mittens, and long fuzzy socks under your pants. This will keep you warm enough so you don’t have to wear a million layers of jackets and ruin your outfit.” Listen to her practical wisdom because pain isn’t beauty in this case. Your favorite Christmas sweater, knit floral earmuffs, circle scarf, over-the-shoulder purse and leg warmers will all complement each other nicely. Oh, and how could I forget the clever design of the fingerless glove? One of these enables you to grip the side bar as tightly as you can without wondering when you might actually fall.

After: Treat your frigid body and mind to a cup of the best hot cocoa Manhattan has to offer. Marlena loves Fika on West 58th, a cozy Swedish haven of luxury coffee and chocolate varieties that, according to their website, “take you on a journey.” Or, trek up north to snag a high table at Vosges on 83rd and Madison, for a more artisanal (read: rich) take on the winter staple in white, milk, or dark. The best hot chocolate is the one that was imported.

Now on to your figure eight!

Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.