Her Campus’ Spring Break Packing List!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Not sure what to pack for your spring break getaway? Not to fret! Her Campus’ Fashion Editor, Tali Weisner, breaks it down for you… #keepitclassyColumbia

A Selection of Flattering, yet practical swimsuits:

Mixing-and-matching (if you’re into that) is the surest way to save you a shopping trip (or 5). Go for easily interchangeable patterns, and solids – similar, or pairable, color schemes are your best bet. If that’s not your thing, then the options are somewhat endless.

But remember:

1. Bandeaus are ideal for avoiding unsavory tanlines.

2. White is tempting – and oh so flattering on your newly bronzed bod – but will be entirely see-through unless high-quality.

3. Pack at least one option that’s at least okay-ish for actual water activities

Day Wear:

Keep it light, loose, and breezy. Casual dresses in light fabrics are the comfiest, and most universally flattering of options. Shorts are always a go-to, but ain’t nobody got time for denim cut-offs when it’s pushing 90. So again, keep it light. If you’re feeling particularly resistant to clothing of any sort (not judging), an off-the-shoulder tunic situation can work just as well.

Sunnies:

A must for obvious reasons. But bear in mind: you’re bout to be rowdy, probably in the water, and likely not on your a-game in terms of keeping track of your various belongings. Trendy, yet cheap is the way to go.

Sneakers:

We at Her Campus understand that spring break is largely about lounging, day/night drinking, and the likes. But while you’re at it, we suggest you take advantage of your respective locales. Zip lining? banana-boating? Water-skiing? (assuming you’re coordinated enough given the circumstances). Point is, take at least one day to do something cool.

Going Out

Things are about to get real. And I apologize in advance.

If you’re all about the tight dress/spandex skirt thang, then you do you. If there’s any situation for which this is an appropriate choice of attire, it’s spring break. And we (reluctantly) approve. If, however, you’re trying to keep it just a tad more chill, and far less generic,  we encourage you to opt for just a bit of subtlety. Cool shorts, edgy tanks? Do and do. If you decide to go the dress/skirt route, heed length or at least ensure you can get down without pulling a Britney. Keep in mind that Mexico isin’t the Upper East Side. Leave your studded heels at home and get ready to dance in something you can…well…actually dance in.

For those of you who do not want to give up your fabulous heels, keep the following in mind. Stumbling aimlessly is never cute. Opt for wedges or platforms, and save yourself an embarrassing spill. Or at the very least, redeem yourself from the inevitable in style-points.

Cute but Chill Bras, Undies…

To be candid, both of the above are somewhat optional. It’s hot, and you’re mostly wearing bathing suits, and frankly, bras are just not always necessary. If, however, you are among the masses for whom undergarments are necessary, or preferred, it’s time to break out your best. (refer to our vday article for some HC-approved options)

Talia Weisner

Columbia Barnard

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard