Fitness Hacks: Staying Fit Through Finals!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
It may be cliché but it’s still true: staying healthy during finals is one of the most important things you can do, and the easiest way to stay fit during finals it to make it fun and as easy as possible. In my experience, the best way to accomplish this is to designate one of your friends to be your finals fitness buddy and find a workout or a rotation of workouts that you really will enjoy doing. Overall, the best way to get through finals is to get through it with your best girlfriends by your side, and so the same ought to go for fitness. The two of you should make a plan ahead of time. For the most part the easiest way to fit a workout into a busy reading weekday is to go right when you wake up or right before bed.

One great time saving fitness hack is to attend a class in a gym that has showers. Soul W77: we all love you, but your lack of locker rooms make it hard for us to go right from a class back to the library. Finals week might be a good opportunity to explore some of the larger SoulCycle facilities around the city. Most locations other than W77 have full shower facilities, and you might even find a new teacher that you love who doesn’t spin at your normal location. Other studios that have showers include Flywheel, Exhale and Physique 57. Both Pure Yoga studios in NYC also have full lockers rooms. You usually need a membership to attend classes there, but finals week may be a good time to use the one-week free trial membership that they offer. The additional benefits to a barre class or a hot yoga is that they will clear your head, relax you and help get you ready to go back to the library. You can also check out HC’s article on class pass here to read up about other studios in the city.  Yes, it may take longer to travel down to Soho or Union Square for a gym, but the time you’ll save going back to your dorm or apartment to shower (where you will no doubt be distracted by numerous things including how soft and comfy your bed looks) will save you time in the end. Additionally, showers make middle-of-the-day lunchtime workouts possible. Also, going to different locations in NYC means you now have an excuse to stop at that new cute coffee shop on your way back to school.

If you’re on a budget, explore ways to make Dodge more fun. For example, find a TV show that you just can’t get enough of, but only allow yourself to watch it when you’re at Dodge. Or, find out when the _____ team’s practice is and then go at the same time so you have something to look at while you’re working out.

Another hack that doesn’t involve working out…eat breakfast!! Eating breakfast is important for everyone and the right breakfast foods help you concentrate and give you the strength to go through your day. Additionally, studies show that people who eat breakfast actually weigh less than people who skip meals! No one can go wrong with grabbing a Chobani on her way out the door. Try to grab an unflavored one with no artificial flavors or sweeteners. I’ll admit to being so #basic and loving the pumpkin spice limited edition Chobani, but it has 12 grams of sugar compared to 4 grams in the plain flavors. Vanilla Chobani even has 13 grams! Moral of the story, watch out for hidden sugar. Another great treat in the morning is a skim milk latte. Because cutting down on all types of sweeteners is good, try to use only half a package of Splenda or maybe only one pump of vanilla or caramel sugar free syrup (Starbucks usually uses 4-5 pumps). In general, also try to stay away from refined carbs in the morning. I love bagels more than anyone in the world (literally wish I could get married in H&H) but their high glycemic index means that they will rapidly break down into simple sugar that cause risky spikes in blood insulin levels that will then lead you to crash later. 

Another MUST for finals: always have healthy snacks in your backpack so that you aren’t tempted by all the delicious things there are out there (Insomnia delivery/free pizza- I am talking to you). It can be a good idea to always have an apple in your bag, or baby carrots, or whatever your favorite fruit or veggie is. Additionally, nuts are a great way to snack your way through finals. Don’t overeat them because they are high in calories and fat, but a few nuts are a great snack to fill you up between meals and keep you focused. There is even vast evidence that eating nuts reduce the risk of many major illnesses. Maybe try a different nut for everyday of the week to keep your palate interested: macadamia Monday, tree-nut Tuesday (cashews/hazelnuts/pecans), walnut Wednesday…you see where I’m going. 

Overall, staying fit will be easier when you do it with friends. Get your finals group together now and decide your plan. Small initiatives that make a big difference are also a great place to start. Try giving up the elevator for the week. Also try to sit on a high floor in the library and take the stairs up and down and try to get up and walk around for a minute at least once an hour. Additionally, if you have an open block of time, maybe take a walking trip somewhere where you can get a fun and healthy meal (40 Carrots, Spring Natural Kitchen, Peacefood Café, or somewhere for a brown rice sushi roll). Because finals season also means formal season, try to watch the alcohol intake. One shot of vodka can have up to 100 calories. Additionally, the less you drink, the more productive you will be the following day. If you are really brave, buy a scale and weigh yourself each morning so you will know if your late night snacking got a little out of control the night before and then you can try to cut down the following night.  

Sarah Fels

Columbia Barnard