danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fashion at Barnard: Craziest Summer Internships in Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Here at Barnard, we do internships like nobody’s business. Fashion internships can be particularly crazy due to the fast-paced nature of the industry…and in the summer there’s no limit on the insane hours or the amazing places these interns get to go (Work hard, play hard, am I right?). As an intern for Marie Claire magazine this summer, I can tell you that it was one of the most frustrating, hilarious, high-stress, wonderful experiences of my life – I met more interesting people then I thought possible, and I learned so much in the process! Here to share the details of their crazy summer internships are some of Barnard’s leading ladies in fashion. Have a crazy internship story to share yourself? Comment on this post and tell us all about it!

Austen Tostone

Where did you intern: Marie Claire Magazine 

Daily tasks: I interned for Marie Claire’s Senior Market editor, Rae Boxer. The great thing about working at a magazine is that everything varied day-to-day. Some days it was attending market appointments and other days it was tracking samples in the closet. I was responsible for making sure all requested pieces came in for shoots, organizing my editor’s schedule and appointments and creating and updating storyboards of looks. 

Favorite part of your internship: My favorite part was getting to assist on the October cover shoot. I had to be there at 8am to unpack trunks, get the racks set up, steam the clothes and make sure everything was set up for when the rest of the team arrived. To watch the styling, photography and set come together and make the image that actually appears in the magazine was an incredible moment. 

Craziest internship moment: The craziest moment was when we were packing trunks for the Branché (Marie Claire’s new sub magazine) shoot until 11pm. The office got dinner for all the interns because we could tell it was going to be a long night. It was a one-time crazy situation but it was my first day so of course I was thinking “what have I gotten myself into?!” But it’s nights like that that made the whole experience amazing and memorable. 

Hours: Start at 9 AM, end between 6 -9 PM 

Next internship: Marie Claire again!

Kimberly McDonald

Where did you intern: Cap and Crown NY

Daily Tasks: Compiling brand decks, brainstorming events/collabs for Vive activation out east, client acquisition calls/drive bys, administrative stuff like shipping product, compiling calendar of NYC events in entertainment/media

Favorite Part of your internship: Harmon Kardon launch party – I met a ton of amazing people, and took home some Harmon Kardon product!

Craziest internship moment: I got to go to a pool party in Brooklyn with the editors of NYLON magazine.

Hours: Honestly whenever my boss needed me

Next internship: Azione PR – I’m working under the same boss I had at Cap and Crown

Elizabeth Williams

Where did you intern: Bloomingdale’s, Executive Development Buying and Planning, Dylan Gray and C by Bloomingdale’s Cashmere

Daily tasks: Ran and analyzed weekly selling reports, developed cashmere certification manual to publish at end of internship, went on market appointments to vendors and assisted with product development of private label brands: Dylan Gray and C by Bloomingdale’s, researched and compiled athleisure brands for potential expansion, created internal marketing advertisements and proposal schedule to coordinate with deliveries

Favorite part of your internship: Going to market all day and assist in the product development which was basically watching my team design a brand

Craziest internship moment: Presenting with my team at a conclave for all of the New View. They let me present by myself in front of around 50 Store managers about a multi-million dollar business. I was also helping dress models between presentations so it was a really busy but important day!

Hours: 9am – 6pm / 5 days a week

Ava Tunnicliff

Where did you intern: Cosmopolitan Magazine UK

Daily tasks: Research, photo research, pitching article ideas and distributing mail.

Favorite part of your internship: Getting my writing published on the Cosmo UK website.

Craziest internship moment: When I traveled around London to various PR companies with a famous cat (and cake pops!) in honor of the Cosmo.co.uk relaunch.

Hours: 9:30 AM – 6:30 PM

Next internship: NYLON magazine

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.