This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

There’s a chill in the air and Starbucks has starting serving Pumpkin Spice Lattes again – we all know what that means: it’s officially fall! Layers and comfy sweaters are back in style, but what else does the season have in store? Here are some of our favorite fall trends to watch!

Athletic Sneakers:

I have to admit, when fashion magazines started showing New Balance and Nike sneakers in their fall spreads, I was in utter shock. How could workout shoes mix with everyday outfits? I didn’t like the mix of bright and sporty with girly and chic. But now, I have grown to appreciate this new kind of elegance infused with comfort, adding a touch of swag to any outfit. These versatile shoes will take you, seamlessly, from academic class to hip hop class in a few swift steps. Pair these sneaks with anything from a mini-dress to boyfriend-jeans and a tee.

Check out this pair by New Balance, $140 or Nike, $110

The Chic Sweatpant:

Going off the workout trend, here’s another comfy staple to add to your fall wardrobe: the chic sweatpant. These pants have all the benefits of regular sweatpants, except they look polished because they are cinched at the bottom. With this new comfy style, you can do that thing you’ve always thought about doing (if you’ve ever had a late night study session into the wee hours of the morning), but never had the guts to do: go to sleep in them, roll out of bed the next morning and go to class in them! These funky pants can be made more girly by wearing them with pointed-toe, leather, flats, a flowy top, and a floral scarf. You can also stick to the whole pajama trend by wearing chic “slippers” and a button down top. 

Our favorites include this Current/Elliott pair, $198, or these drawstring sweats by Lanston, $50

The Cutout Bootie:

Cutout booties are making their way into department stores such as Bloomingdales and Nordstrom for a reason: it’s a boot, it’s a sandal, it’s a heel…what doesn’t this shoe do?! The cutout bootie is perfect for fall weather because it covers just enough to keep your feet warm while also allowing for some air when the moody autumn temperature changes from cold to hot in the span of a few hours. Dress these booties up with an A-line dress and statement necklace, or dress them down with jeans and a military-style jacket.

We love these Boohoo boots, $60, or Pour La Victoire open-toe booties, $192

Lightweight Parkas:

Fall is all about layering, and sporting a lightweight parka over that tee-shirt and cardigan is the best way to protect yourself from those early morning chills. The right parka can shield against wind and rain, but looks more fashionable than your average windbreaker or raincoat. Wear it on your way to class in the chilly morning, then take it off in the warm afternoon. As the weather gets colder, the lightweight parka can take you further into fall by wearing it over a cozy sweater and scarf.

Try this military parka, $168, or a denim version from Gap, $70

The ShirtDress:

Shirtdresses are perfect for school because they are simultaneously casual and polished! For a casual look, wear this dress with leggings and high tops. To amp it up a notch, wear it with tights, leather flats and some statement jewelry. This dress can even take you into winter if you wear it underneath a chunky sweater and pair it with your favorite tall, leather boots.

Check out our fav options from Gap, $70 and H&M, $30

Leora Herman

Columbia Barnard