Fall Fashion Week Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

2014’s Fall Fashion weeks brought us hundreds of new looks that we absolutely can’t wait to put in our closets (or at least attempt to recreate on our college budgets), so it’s hard to choose the top 10.  For the sake of variety, I’ve chosen a few of my favorite from each fashion week – New York, London, Milan – and the trends I’m most excited to rock next fall! Get shopping collegiettes!

1. Tory Burch 

The mix of fabrics here is fun and adds interest to the look, plus the fur skirt is beyond luxurious. The full skirt contrasts nicely with the sharp, clean lines of the jacket, but it’s still figure-flattering thanks to the chain-link belt. 

2. 3.1 Phillip Lim

I absolutely love the plaid on plaid here, especially the white pants. This menswear-inspired look is easy to wear, and a supremely edgy take on a chic work look.

3. Diane Von Furstenberg

Diane Von Furstenberg, in true form, brought a cool, and refreshing shock of color into her winter line. The royal blue is fun and unexpected, especially paired against the wave print of the dress. In winter, we have a tendency to go only for black and grays. Her use of color is spot-on.

4. Theory

This look has mastered the balance between hard and soft. The bulky sweater on top looks truly warm, but is totally balanced by the feminine skirt. The metallic belt also breaks up the monotony of gray, while defining the model’s waist.

5. Burberry Prorsum

Burberry rocked the prints this year – floral scarves and jackets in a variety of hues, chevron dresses, lattice-print bags, and lace overlays. Even though this dress is fairly dark in color, the mix of prints energizes the look and makes a statement. I also love the scarf into a belt; it’s a unique way to stay warm and still define your figure. Plus, couldn’t you just die for those floral booties?

6.Topshop Unique

The play of textures here is what really makes this look interesting: a leather skirt, with a knit sweater, and fur-trimmed coat – the eye always has somewhere to look. Even the pop of patent leather on the shoes ads a dynamic edge.

8. Gucci

I died over Gucci’s collection this season. It featured menswear-inspired ensembles in pastel colors and really toed the line of masculine vs. feminine. This clean-cut tailored suit in dusty rose stood out against the sea of pastel palettes. I love how it’s contrasted with the fur coat and snakeskin clutch in the same colors – it shows you how much texture can really do!

9. Just Cavalli

As soon as fall rolls around, I am definitely replicating this look. The slim patterned pants are fun and vibrant, but the material says “professional” – perfect for a job in the fashion or graphic design industry! The motorcycle jacket is just the right amount of contrast, and keeps the look from being all-over color.

10. Missoni

Layers on layers on layers! This look is super cozy and wearable with a loose-fitting sweater dress and knit thigh highs, but is still super chic and put-together. This mustard asymmetrical coat is a great statement piece alone too, but really ties together the earthy tones of the look.

Sofia Lyons

Columbia Barnard

I'm a first year student at Barnard and aspiring fashion journalist, hoping to bring my fellow collegiettes some style tips & info about upcoming trends! I also love singing/songwriting, dancing, event planning, community service, eating good food, and exploring NYC.
Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard