Like a Fairygodboss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

When people think of online reviews, the first thing that pops into mind may be sites like Yelp where users can openly write about services people are interested in. However, what if there was a way to write and look up reviews on a company you work at? Well, Fairygodboss, whose mission is to improve the workplace for women, provides just that. 

Fairygodboss is a free, anonymous job review site that allows women to share several details about their job experiences. On this website, prospective employees can find reviews for women by women on a variety of companies with information on pay, benefits, treatment, and how to get hired. Started by Georgene Huang and Romy Newman, the site has allowed over one million women to discuss openly different factors about their employers such as maternity leave and overall company culture. When doing deep career research, getting the inside-scoop on the company you’re interested in can go a long way in your final evaluation. 

Looking for a job or internship can seem like a huge undertaking, but Fairygodboss helps by being a guiding light on your journey. Fairygodboss allows women to promote positive experiences, to reveal any issues they encountered, and to recommend the best workplaces for women. Users are able to share, to constructively evaluate, and to research what they value and what is important to them when completing a job search. Fairygodboss values workplace equality highly and wants to make sure that women are provided with all the information they need on the positions they are seeking.

By facilitating communication and transparency, the website provides women with company ratings, job listings, discussion boards, career advice, and a supportive community of other professional women. Fairygodboss also makes it easy for anyone who wants to share a recent job experience and to contribute through their website and join the conversation. If you want to share advice with others on a specific job or company, Fairygodboss is the place to go. When women help and empower other women, that is truly Boss. 

To leave a review on a recent job or internship, follow this link: http://bit.ly/2jIY9St

Julia Tache

Columbia Barnard '19

Surviving the big city through caffeine.
Alicia S

Columbia Barnard