This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

If you’re like most college students, it’s easy to fall down the hole of sacrificing meals in the name of your studies. Grabbing dorm room cereal for breakfast – or worse, skipping breakfast altogether – can seem like a great way to maximize time for studying, or let’s be real, sleeping in, but there are many benefits to starting off your day with a substantial bite to eat. Eating breakfast not only kick-starts your metabolism, but it also helps maintain stability in both mood and weight. Eating in the morning can reduce the risk of overeating later in the day, once your body has already gone into full on hangry mode. Avoid the hangries and give your brain a boost by fueling up for the day!

Level 1: 5 Minute Breakfasts-For the mornings you wake up late and run to class with wet hair.

•Brekkie shake (V, GF): 1 banana, 1 large handful of spinach or kale, 1 cup almond or coconut milk. Throw everything together and blend. (Target sells a few styles of mini on-the-go blenders for < $20 each!)

•Frozen waffles with nut butter (VF, GF options): For those with allergies, try Van’s for a quick fix, found online, or at Whole Foods and Fairway. http://www.vansfoods.com/our-products-waffles

•On-the-move: if all else fails, grabbing a banana and some nuts on your way to class is a healthy choice with a protein boost!

Level 2: 20 Minute Breakfasts-For the mornings you wake up with enough time to check social media outlets before getting out of bed.

•Chia pudding (V, GF): Mix 1/3 c chia seeds with 1 c milk or milk alternative. Let sit for at least 20 minutes (you can also do this the night before). Top with fresh fruit, nuts, or a scoop of flaxmeal for a healthy start. 

•2-ingredient Banana Pancakes (GF, DF): As simple as… mash up 1 banana and beat in 2 eggs. Makes 2-3 pancakes.

•Quinoa fruit bowl (V, GF): To change up the old standby, replace oatmeal with quinoa and add your favorite healthy toppings! 

Level 3: Sunday brunch-For the mornings you have time to kill and nowhere to be. 

•Easy Pancakes (GF, DF): Combine dry ingredients, then add wet. Use a frying pan to cook on medium setting. Yields 6-8 medium pancakes.

1 c GF flour (Bob’s Red Mill found at Whole Foods and Fairway)

2 TBS sugar

2 teas baking powder

1⁄2 teas salt

1 c milk or alternative

1 egg

1 TBS vegetable oil

*optional toppings: mashed banana, chocolate chips, chopped apples & cinnamon

•Rosemary Hash Browns (V, GF): Add onions to oil on medium heat, until hey begin to soften. Add potatoes and seasoning, cooking until potatoes are soft. Yields 2-3 servings.

1 sweet onion

1-2 TBS coconut or olive oil

2-3 medium red potatoes, chopped in 1” pieces

sea salt

rosemary or other seasoning

•Veggie Hash (V, GF): On medium heat, sauté onions in oil until they soften. Add sweet potato for a few minutes then add beets and spinach at the same time. If adding eggs, hollow out a “nest” for each and cook for about 5 minutes before flipping the whole mixture of hash and egg, cooking for another 5 minutes. Enjoy!

1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped in strips 

1 TBS coconut or olive oil

2 large handfuls of spinach, chopped 

1⁄2 can sliced beets, cut in strips

1 small sweet potato, shredded (works great with a veggie peeler)

*eggs optional

*avocado slices and chopped scallions as optional garnishes

All pictures courtesy of Gianna’s food blog “The Impossible Eater”

Gianna Sinopoli

Columbia Barnard

Gianna is a Senior at Barnard College. She's passionate about nutrition and wellness, and spends most of her free time running in the park, cooking healthy treats, or writing for her own blog, The Impossible Eater.