Cole Hickman: The Athlete Who Puts the Varsity in the Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Meet the infamous Cole Hickman. You may know him as the star of the Varsity Show, but back home, his friends and family know him as a star hockey player. 

Name: Cole Hickman

Hometown: Palmdale, CA (which is in the Mojave Desert lol). Our biggest tourist attractions are the local Applebee’s and LA being “only about an hour and a half away!”

School and Year: Columbia College 2016

Major: Linguistics/Russian Language and Culture 

Campus activities: I have participated in the Varsity Show 119 and 121, and I have done other theatre stuff. I used to give campus tours where I would think of creative ways to deflect helicopter mom’s Classic QuestionTM “What’s your SAT score!!!!!” Also, I TA the Intro to Linguistics course.

Best physical feature: I recently took my shirt off and somebody said “wow I thought you had a dad bod.” This comment was literally the most unwarranted thing ever, so I guess I would say I like that my body defies expectations. 

Favorite study spot: For 3 years I have been in 209. Recently, I have moved into the Ref Room. I kid you not the first time I walked into the Ref Room all of the people who left 209 because of me got this horrified look on their face as if news had broke that the plague had returned.

Most embarrassing moment during your time at Columbia: My most embarrasing moment at Columbia is when I looked like that bald spider baby that Sid created in Toy Story, and nobody stopped making fun of me for three years.

Favorite place to eat in MoHi:  “Hamilton Deli: Absolutely Fine Food.”

Quotable Quote: How long have those cheese fries been in the refrigerator?

What was your best Facebook status? I did a series of statuses that documented my experiences in my Korean class. I’m sure Buzzfeed will cover it soon “This College Student Documented His Korean Class In Statuses – And It Is Amazing.”

What is the funniest thing you have ever said?  I don’t know…. but there was a period of three months where I kept vocalizing that I was thinking about rushing SigEp.

Favorite Instagram Filter: XPro because the vignette is like NO other.

What type of person gets a swipe right?  A person who has a great main picture. I do not like to look passed the main pictures, so if you want me to swipe right make sure that your main picture makes a good first impression. 

Who is your Columbia crush?  Honestly, I’m in love with everybody. I have a crush on everybody, and I’m fine with that.

Current relationship status: Single Since 1994®

What do you look for in a partner? Signs of life (breathing and a semi-regular heartbeat).

Three ways a person can win over your heart?

1. Bring me a warm cinnamon roll in bed.
  2. Bring me fried chicken in bed.
  3. Be from Canada, Russia, or the UK.

Biggest turn off for you? When someone wears fashion sandals or really any shoe that allows me to see your feet. I don’t care what your excuse is.

Finally, is true that you were a jock? Yes, I am a jock. I was really into lifting and muscle milk back in high school. I  played competitive ice hockey for 10 years, and I was ranked number 7 in this Great Nation©.