Campus Cutie: Barnard BFFs Paulina and Olivia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cuties, Barnard BFFs Paulina and Olivia, who prove that some good can come from the NSOP Ice Cream Social. 

Names: Paulina Cohen and Olivia Chuba

Hometowns: Los Angeles, CA

School: Barnard ’16

Majors: Paulina is an Art History major and Olivia is an Art History major with an English minor.

**Note: Despite the information above and matching blonde highlights, we are not the same person.

Where and how did you two meet?

Paulina: At the NSOP Ice Cream Social! But we actually later found out we took the SAT in the same room, so our friendship was really a long time in the making.

Olivia: Ah, yes, the Ice Cream Social. I remember it well. Paulina was wearing all black, so I literally thought she was the most intimidating cool girl ever and was afraid to talk to her. Our paths crossed many times in LA, but we never knew each other. We also found out that we had a crush on the same boy in high school despite not having gone to the same school!

Describe your best friend in less than ten words.

Paulina: Compassionate, Silly, TV Lover, Loyal, Sensitive, Loving, Allergic to cats

Olivia: Empathetic, tender, tiny but mighty, hilarious, feisty, Real Housewives connoisseur, generous

What is your craziest memory together?

Paulina: When we were abroad in Florence, we went out to dinner for my birthday drank way too much wine and way too many aperol spritzes. We ended up at this club called YAB (which stands for You Are Beautiful) where we subsequently got separated.  I spent the whole night calling Olivia from my Italian cell phone. I thought her phone was going straight to voicemail because I kept getting this crazy message in Italian but it turns out I just had no money on my phone. We ended up wandering the streets of Florence looking for each other, somehow made it home at the end of the night, and slept the whole next day before having a giant bowl of pasta for breakfast.

Olivia: I can’t think of another one specifically, but Bacchanal is always a good bet. So, I’m going to share with you one memory of Paulina from each other our Bacchanals so far:

1) Freshman Year: We ran to Mel’s to eat lunch after Macklemore was done. I watched Paulina eat a burger in two bites and then proceed to fall asleep on the table for a solid 30 mins.

2) Sophomore Year: Paulina and I were feeling less than spectacular after Bacchanal, but had promised we would be to this party later that night. So, after watching Mulan, we headed to the party wearing oversized sweatshirts, hoodies, and brought our Chipotle with us.

3) Junior Year: While at a pregame, I watched Paulina stare at a piece of caution tape for about 10 minutes before cracking herself up by wrapping it around her. Her cousin who was visiting then she insisted on going to Tom’s for pancakes before Big Sean went on.

I realize now these all just involve food

So tell us, are you single, taken, complicated…?

Paulina: Single, but it’s always a bit complicated.

Olivia: Single

What qualities do you look for in a partner?

Paulina: I’m looking for a guy who won’t shame me for watching The Real Housewives or The Bachelorette, but can also talk about bell hooks and be somewhat engaging. Basically, you have to be able to dick around and make some jokes, but then be cool with going straight into serious conversation if the vibe goes there. Read the room, read the situation, and adapt accordingly. I’m really not asking for much. If you’re reading this and this sounds like you, feel free to slide into my DMs.

Olivia: A good sense of humor is probably the most important thing to me. As you might have sensed, we are very silly people and finding someone who can not only make jokes, but also take jokes, is really vital to me.

What are the deal breakers?

Paulina: I need a guy who can hang. If you can’t do that, you’re out.

Olivia: I know this is petty, but, honestly, — and Paulina can tell you this is true — bad footwear choices are kind of make or break for me. Also, the ever classic: “If you wanna be my lover you gotta get with my friends.” If you can’t hang with my friends, that’s the end of the road for us.

Tell us about your first experience together in Cannons:

Paulina: I don’t distinctly remember my first time in Cannons. But, one time when we were there during our sophomore NSOP, we both got pitchers of beer spilled all over us. That night Olivia also lost her phone and, after searching that sticky floor, we found it!

Olivia: Yeah, that was a good night. I also seem to distantly remember being in Cannons early freshman year, dancing on that bench in the back, watching this gal’s funky dance moves, and knowing we were going to get along just fine.

Any advice for freshman looking for bffs:

Paulina: High school can be so cliquey, so it can be intimidating to stray away from that in college. But, do it! Talk to people you normally wouldn’t and who knows, they could be your new friend! Friendships take work and honesty. Appreciate your friends and your friendships. Talk about your insecurities, but also don’t be afraid to share what you love most about yourself. Also, go to lame things like the NSOP Ice Cream Social. I’m glad I did!  

Olivia: Finding someone you can be silly with is so important. This school can be stressful and heavy at times, so having someone to stay up with laughing until 3:00 AM saying “this is the last stupid vine” (shoutout to baby Ava) is so crucial.  

**Disclaimer: This is a personal piece and does not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus Media.

Najet Fazai

Columbia Barnard