stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Biting Into The Big City: The Freshman Fifteen Struggle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.
Insomnia, and Koronet, and Tom’s! Oh my! As you approach your first year of college, you are forced to dodge that horrid question that you would much rather avoid altogether: do you think you’ll gain the “freshman fifteen?” This commonly used phrase has quickly transformed into a stigma that has college freshmen perturbed before they even walk through the doors. Well the truth is, weight gain can happen to anyone at anytime. It is not just an issue for freshmen, but for college students as a whole. The summer before my first year at Columbia, a high school professor gave me a piece of advice that he introduced as “the best advice I will ever be presented with.” He told me that there were two things I would receive in college that I could not get elsewhere: a free gym membership and free therapy. Although I’m aware that nothing in life is ever really free, I knew what he meant and he was right. Take advantage of the gym, it’s there for you to use at your leisure.
Now I know we’re not all Jillian Michaels and if you didn’t work out five days a week in high school, you’re most likely not going to start now. But make the extra effort to go to the gym once or twice a week. Although we may not have such a large campus, we are blessed with a sizeable fitness center that offers a plethora of classes and consists of multiple floors of exercise equipment. Trust me, I’m not from the runners and will do everything in my power to avoid the treadmill, but even I know I can’t use that as an excuse. Instead, try walking around the track with a friend or hopping on the elliptical. You can even casually ride one of the stationary bikes while reading those few chapters of Middlemarch you were just assigned, or on those less ambitious days, watching that episode of Scandal that you missed. Whatever it may be, get those one or two hours of exercise into your schedule. If there is one thing I learned in my first year of college it’s that you can get as much or as little accomplished, as you’d like. However, the physical activity is only half the battle. 

There is nothing more tempting than a 1:00 AM Insomnia delivery while you’re racking your brain trying to finish that last problem set that’s due at 10:00 AM the next morning. As enticing as this may be, do your best to avoid it. In times of despair grab anything from a yogurt or berries, to your favorite veggie. I know the latter may sound like an oxymoron to some of you, but bottom line, there is always a healthy alternative. Don’t let food be a mystery because it will always surprise you in the end.
Always be mindful of what you’re eating. College is amazing, but I think we can all vouch for the fact that it can also be extremely stressful. When you’re reading in Butler for what feels like two days straight, it’s only natural to need and want something to tie you over until your next meal. Just make sure you’re wise about it. Instead of grabbing for that alluring chocolate bar sitting in the window of Uni Café, take a friend for a Morton Williams run and buy a cup of coffee, an apple, or even a small bag of nuts. As hard as it is, do your very best to replace those carbs with protein-filled snacks and meals. And of course with Pinkberry across the street, it would be unlawful of me to tell you to stay away from those fifteen minutes of pure bliss on Low steps with a yogurt, some friends, and good conversation. However when choosing toppings, try and go for the fruit options because before you know it, the calories in that small yogurt can mount up to that of a small milkshake. 

Lucky for us, we’re in NYC and have countless healthy alternatives at our fingertips. Variety is the spice of life and Manhattan is most definitely the center of variety. This life is what you make of it, so make it count.
^Take healthy tips from Ryan Gosling^