5 NYC Neighborhoods You Should Consider Living In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Alphabet City

If you are looking to have some extra fun this summer in New York City, you might want to head downtown to Alphabet City. Though you probably won’t find anything bigger than tenement style for your price range, the fact that this East Village neighborhood is overflowing with chic cafes and unique bars will make up for it – you’ll never want to stay indoors! The nightlife is fantastic and the neighborhood’s edginess is a fresh change from our Morningside heights campus.

Williamsburg

If you and a roommate are looking for something more affordable but with an equally high cool factor, you may want to trek out to Brooklyn. The area is known for its younger crowd and trendy restaurants. Besides being one of the best places to eat and hang out, it’s also one of the best places to catch a concert or performance – there’s always something going on, especially in the summer months. The vibe is cool and collected and a great areas for friends to visit!

Murray Hill

Though you won’t find a strong nightlife here, Murray Hill is teeming with college students because of its affordable prices and central location in Manhattan. Buildings and facilities are often quite nice since the area has many high-rise doorman buildings. If you’re looking for a convenient place to stay that includes in-building laundry, a gym and (maybe!) even a pool, this chill (and equally parent approved!) area might be for you.

Gowanus

A less heard of NYC neighborhood in Brooklyn, Gowanus is a beautiful mix of Brooklyn culture. Artists, musicians, entrepreneurs and anyone in between come together in this cool and unique area. There are lots of shops, bars, and venues to choose from – all satisfying varying tastes and budgets. You are also close by to some of the best museums, parks and galleries in the city – definitely something to take advantage of.  

Astoria

If you’re really willing to head far out for a lower budget you may want to consider Queens.  Though a bit distant from city nightlife, it’s a cultural mecca of international communities. You can essentially globe trot every weekend – head over to Jackson heights for some drool worthy samosas or to Corona for some really authentic Mexican food. There is a lot to experience here culturally, and you’re close to some pretty amazing museums, like the museum of the moving image. For the price, it’s hard to beat.