5 NSOP Pitfalls to Avoid this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

NSOP week is a very exciting time, whether you’re an incoming freshman or a returning student. However, it’s important to remember not to get too excited. I like to think of NSOP as the New Year’s Eve to the school year. And you don’t want to start off your school year like I started off 2012: waking up on the floor of a Comfort Inn outside of Las Vegas, completely drenched, and sharing a super-sized sleeping bag with some new friends. So, without further ado, let me give you 5 NSOP pitfalls that – believe me – you’d really rather avoid (even if they seem like great ideas at the time).

5. Wearing your club outfit to Mel’s

For: Incoming Freshmen Girls (Or Guys, I don’t assume gender normativity), And also, people who just keep doing this

Nothing says “I’m sixteen” like rolling up to a burger joint that twilights as a bar in five inch heels and a little black dress at 9pm. Also, people will still be eating dinner in there.  Old people, possibly. It will be awkward.

4. Skipping NSOP events

For: Incoming Freshmen

Now, I know this one sounds boring, but seriously, what else are you going to do with your time? You have four years to explore the city (watch Netflix in your room), and this is a time to spend making funny “remember how much NSOP sucked” memories with your new best friends. Also, there is frequently free food. That will never happen again. And – welcome to the city! – food is expensive here.

3. Buying your books

For: Incoming Freshmen and anyone else who hasn’t learned this lesson yet

WAIT. Seriously, your teacher might change their mind, you might drop the class, you might never do your reading…. Just wait.

2. Going to campus bars…. If you’ve graduated

For: Recent grads

Listen Class of 2014, we love you. It was a great time. But it’s over. Please don’t come to Mel’s. Not that it’s not great to see you, but it’s time to move on. It’s time to go to grown up bars and pregame with wine out of bottles instead of boxes. I say this for you, not for me.

1. Going too hard

For: Everyone, but especially incoming Freshmen.

The memories from NSOP are especially potent. And if you spend your first weekend being forcibly removed from various establishments/ throwing up in them, that is how people will remember you. Also, hungover NSOP is just not fun.

As an added bonus, one thing you definitely should do during NSOP(!):

* Race the Roommate

For: Everyone

Get there before move-in officially starts. Get the good side of the room. (Yes, there is always a good side). 

Happy NSOP Class of 2018!

In case you missed Dspar completing the ice bucket challenge