This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Carolina Garrigo

School & Year: CC ’15

What are your plans post grad?

After graduation I’m going to take the summer off and work at summer camp! Then I will be attending Florida State University for an MFA in Production at their College of Motion Picture Arts.

What got you interested in pursuing film?

I’ve always loved movies. I grew up watching classic musicals like My Fair Lady and Camelot, and some of my best memories are watching Singing in the Rain and An American in Paris with my family (Gene Kelly is the love of my life). There was something magical about seeing that music come to life on screen. Then I saw Star Wars and after about 1 million viewings my parents revealed to me that someone’s real job was making these movies. This was something people did and that I could do. I had to be a part of that and play a role in creating these worlds.

Favorite film to watch?

My favorite movie of all time is the timeless classic, Footloose. Kevin Bacon and dancing. What more could you want?! I also absolutely love Jean-Luc Godard’s Breathless and Alfonso Cuaron’s Children of Men.

How have you pursued film at school?

I started taking film classes on day one. I’ve tried to take as many classes as possible to learn all that I can. I’ve also worked with CUFP (Columbia Undergraduate Film Productions) as a screenwriter, assistant director, and sound designer! There are also a million and one screenings happening all over campus and the city that I try to take advantage of as much as possible. They usually are accompanied by panels and discussions which are so incredible to listen to and see how film plays a part in our world today.

Any advice to underclassmen?

Take film classes if only just to listen to some of the most brilliant minds in film speak about it and its history. Whether or not you want to make movies, talk to everyone you know and hear their stories. There are so many brilliant people in the film department and in your classes and on this campus who want to do the coolest things and are from all over. Take the time to listen to them. Finally, go into the city and explore. Go to movies go to shows go to lectures go to museums. New York is the best place in the world, especially for the arts. Take advantage of it!

Where will we find you in 10 years?

Working in the biz, making films worth watching (specifically those of the science fiction nature), with my name in the credits of a movie at a theater near you.