22 Things for Barnard Women to be Grateful For This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

September and October have flown by in the blink of an eye. Midterms are over, and the stark realization has hit that we only have one full week of classes left. It’s that time of year again- frigid temperatures force us to bundle up, 4pm feels like the middle of the night, and the doom of finals is close around the corner. Despite all the not-so happy things about November, November also means Thanksgiving. For many, Thanksgiving is a favorite not only for the massive amounts of turkey and gravy we stuff our faces with, but also because of the much needed opportunity that is provided to reflect and be thankful for a number of reasons. Those of us who are lucky enough are always thankful for our families and good health, but this Thanksgiving, try and think of a few other reasons to be thankful. Columbia and Barnard can be a difficult place to be, especially as finals approach and temperatures drop. However, we have so many little forgotten things that are perfect reasons to be thankful!

This Thanksgiving, be thankful for…

• Attending such an incredible school. Remember how excited and relieved you felt holding that huge envelope containing your admissions decision?
  • Living in New York- enough said
  • That friend who you can always rely on to save you a seat in 209 (you know who you are)
  • Having some of the best (ok, debatable) and affordable housing in NYC
  • The way college walk is lit up in the winter

• That accomplished/relieved feeling you get walking out of Butler
  • Taking classes with life changing professors who are truly some of the best in their fields
  • The opportunity we have to NOT solely rely on dining hall food and to indulge in other food options once in a while, unlike our friends at rural schools
  • Being able to apply for some of the coolest and most prestigious internships around
  • Having parents that let you call them crying multiple times per week (or day)
  • The immense number of research opportunities in a variety of fields
  • Attending a small liberal arts school, affiliated with a large prestigious university, in Manhattan, but with a cozy campus- who else can say they go to a school like this?

• Those friends that will risk being publicly humiliated by the security guard to sneak you food into Butler
  • The amount of diversity we experience at Barnard that is unlike the atmosphere at many other academic institutions
  • Having Riverside Park steps away as a getaway from the crazy city

• The connections made at Barnard that will benefit us now and later in life
  • The support systems we find at Barnard, whether it be from a favorite professor, academic advisor, sorority, club, or peers in our residence halls
  • Having multiple options for getting involved on campus in a way that best suits your passions, including athletic teams, publications, Greek organizations, performance groups, or religious outlets
  • The gorgeous trees with colorful leaves in the fall, and the magnolia tree in the spring

• The opportunities yielded from graduating with a Barnard and Columbia degree
  • Having so many different places to study that it (almost) makes studying exciting
  • Being able to walk across the stage at graduation with women who have and will accomplish amazing things, and knowing you all have at least one thing in common- you will all bear the title of proud Barnard alumnae