121 in the 212: A Word with Ally Horn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

What does it mean to be writing for Varsity Show?

It’s one of the largest, most impactful experiences I’ve ever had. I’m learning and creating at the same time, there’s no time for practice because it’s just the real thing. It’s such an honor to come up with ideas and see them come to life through the work of other passionate students on this campus. To me, writing for the Varsity Show means bringing a community together of people who value the creation, performance, and expression of art. 

Anything specific that made you want to be one of the infamous writers?

Street cred.

What can we expect from this year’s show?

Don’t expect anything. My cowriter, Bijan and I, are really lucky to have a unified vision for this year’s show: One which is both shocking and tasteful. We just want to create something that we truly believe in and are proud of at the end of this long journey.  

Favorite thing to read + writing inspiration?

The New Yorker, Eric Andre. George Orwell, too. 

One thing you could change about this school?

The expectation that every single thing can be a student’s number one priority. Like why do we have to “be sick” or have a “death in the family” in order to be excused from things. It’s no mystery that we have to priortize. Why not have a more honest and understanding society. Where I can say to a professor, look, my coursework post just wasn’t my number one priority and I think that is reasonable.  

See the Varsity Show- May 1, 2, 3rd. You won’t regret it. 

What’s your motto?

No, you can’t get a man with a gun.