This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s getting to be winter, and we all know what that means… swearing by the tunnels, hibernating in our beds until the last possible second, and praying for the miracle that is a snow day. As every college woman understands, there is a delicate balance between looking like an oversized marshmallow and maintaining your perfectly crafted sense of style. Lucky for us, fashion brands realize this difficulty and have created a variety of coats to keep us toasty warm and fashionable this winter! Check out these 10 must-have coats for surviving winter in NYC.

1) The Bright Statement Coat

jcrew.com

Stand out in a sea of black and brown with a bright colored jacket! A longer length keeps you warm while accentuating your bright style and personality.

2) The Trendy Blazer

zara.com

For those days where the temperatures are not too terrible, try a structured blazer instead of a jacket. Throwing on a blazer is an easy way to polish your look for class or work.

3) The Down Jacket

macys.com

Down keeps you super warm on the coldest days without weighing you down. Many down jackets, like this Calvin Klein one pictured, can be folded up easily, making them great for trips and small college dorm rooms.

4) The (Faux) Fur Trim Coat

shop.nordstrom.com

Be animal friendly and stylish in a coat with faux fur trim.

5) The Maxi Coat

lordandtaylor.com

Instantly dress up any outfit with a floor length maxi coat! Black elongates your figure and looks polished from head to toe. Added perks- all that material will keep you incredibly warm, even on the coldest of days.

6) The Peacoat

bananarepublic.com

Stay classic and comfortable in a wool peacoat, like this one from Banana Republic.

7) The Trendy Ski Jacket

landsend.com

For outdoor winter adventures such as skiing, snowboarding, or snowshoeing, you need a warm jacket that still allows you to move. This one from Lands End is perfect because it comes in a variety of colors and will keep you warm in temperatures up to -25 degrees Fahrenheit!

8) The Quilted Coat

jcrewfactory.com

This jacket is perfect for late fall and early spring and is extremely versatile.

9) The Timeless Coat

shop.nordstorm.com

The brand Barbour is home to a variety of classic coats that will last for years. This particular style is waterproof, making it perfect for sleety and snowy days in the city.

10) The Belted Jacket

bloomingdales.com

Channel your inner Olivia Pope with a belted coat! It keeps your figure from getting swallowed up in a bundle of material and is perfect for accentuating curves.