Tidying Up: Your Spring Cleaning Guide

Posted -

The end of the semester is nearing, and that means it's almost time to start packing boxes and heading home for the summer.

But before you do that, it might be a good idea to organize your space and deep clean your belongings. To do that, we've put together a few helpful tips!

Vaccuming

Don't waste time moving big pieces of furniture around while trying to vaccum. Instead, just move those big items a little to the left or to the right and vacuum the area previously occupied by the furniture and then move it back into place. These saves a lot of time, especially in dorm rooms!

Cleaning Walls

The walls might not look like they need cleaned —dust should fall onto the floor, right? Most of it does, but some dust still clings to walls, warranting a little bit of a wash. Use a sponge and hand dishwashing detergent, washing the surface in sections. A sponge mop makes it easier to reach higher spots. Use two buckets: one for dishwashing detergent solution and another for wringing your sponge. Dry the walls and woodwork with a clean cloth. Your landlord will be thrilled to see you've done this!

Ceilings

Wondering why you've been sneezing so much lately? It might be be because you need to remove dust and dirt from ceiling fans and air-conditioner vents. Do this with a cloth and a vacuum with a soft nozzle attachment. The same goes for ceiling lights and other fixtures — use a stepladder, all-purpose cleaner, a sponge and a polish cloth to give new light to your life.

Laundry

Although you're soon to head home, consider doing some laundry before you hit the road. Cramming dirty laundry into a bag could mean it'll stay there for awhile and get even dirtier, if not forgotten! Also, try to fold your clothes before traveling with them — this helps them from getting wrinkles or getting lost in all your stuff!

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login