This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Winter’s great for many reasons- ice skating, fuzzy socks, hot chocolate after a cold day, but our hair doesn’t always feel the same way. When winter comes, our hair starts feeling the effects, and it can become much more dry, brittle, and frizzy. Here are some tips to bring the moisture and shine back into your hair, and trust me, your hair will thank you.

1)   Use a Moisturizing Hair Mask:

This is a quick and affordable way to restore the moisture in your hair and will give you instant results. You’ll see an immediate difference, and your hair will feel much shinier and softer. A great one is the TRESemme Expert Selection Hydrating Mask, Botanique Nourish & Replenish, made with coconut milk and aloe vera.This retails for only $5, making it very affordable for us college students.  You can use this in the shower after shampooing and conditioning your hair, apply a generous amount to the shaft and ends of your hair, and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Then, rinse out, and style to your preference. Your hair will feel noticeably softer, and you can use this mask once a week.

2)   Cut Down the Heat on Your Hair 

The dry winter air already strips the moisture out of your hair, leaving it very brittle. Using extra heat, such as flat irons or curling irons, only make this worse by taking away even more moisture, causing hair to be frizzy and rough. Taking a break from hot tools during the winter will allow your hair to keep the moisture it has left, and if you’re worried about your hair not looking good from lack of heat-styling, I have an easy heat-free hair style for you. After a shower when your hair is damp, French braid your hair back, and in the morning take out the braid, and you’ll be left with beautiful loose waves. A win-win for everyone.

3)   Buy a Humidifier

Not only is this great for dry skin, but a humidifier will add the moisture back into the air, which keeps the hair from looking dry and damaged. This way, if you suffer from dry skin as well, you can revive that and your hair. Killing two birds with one stone!

4)   Use Sulfate-Free Products 

Many of us are accustomed to using shampoo and feeling the suds build up, and then washing them away for clean hair. However, shampoos with sulfates can strip the hair of its natural oils, leaving the hair even more vulnerable to the cold air. Try to find a shampoo without sulfates that moisturizes your hair, and you will have a softer head of hair. Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo is great sulfate-free shampoo that keeps hair from being brittle and frizzy, and is only $10, making it a bargain.

As fun as winter is, it’s important to remember to show your hair some TLC, and you’ll be rewarded with shiner, softer, healthier hair!

I have a passion for hair and makeup, and hope to be involved in the beauty industry.
???? Founder of Her Campus Babson. Lover of stories. Over drinker of coffee. College student interested in the intersection of business, tech, and creativity.