Mirai Nagasu Just Became The First American Woman In History To Land A Triple Axel At The Winter Olympics

In 2014, Mirai Nagasu didn’t get a spot on the Sochi Olympic team, despite finishing third at that years National championship. But, that didn’t stop her from getting a new coach, relocating to a new training facility and aiming to master the triple axel, something that only two other American women have ever accomplished. She is the first American woman to ever land it at an Olympic competition.

“My friend, Mirai, and I - four years ago, we got In-N-Out, we went back to her house, we went up to the roof of her house, and we were eating In-N-Out because we were so upset that we weren’t at the Olympic Games.  And tonight, you know.  The Olympics are truly magical because we came out here tonight, and - we’re roommates here staying in the Olympic Village - we gave each other a hug and I said, you know, “Mirai, we’re here.  We did it.”

—  Via Tumblr. Adam Rippon, after cleanly skating the men’s free program for the United States in the Figure Skating Team Competition at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.  Teammate Mirai Nagasu also had a clean skate in the ladies’ free program portion of the team competition.  Nagasu also landed a triple axel in her skate, becoming only the third woman in history to land the jump.  With their skates, she, along with Rippon, put the United States securely in medal position, with only the free dance portion of the team competition left.

A huge congratulations to Mirai Nagasu and the entire USA Figure Skating Team on getting Bronze!

Book lover. Netflix addict. Lifelong eater. Feminist. Kaina is a Freshman at Babson College and the founder of Her Campus Babson. She is a Business major hoping to concentrate in Marketing and is fluent in English, Spanish, and Sarcasm. Superpowers include being able to read and listen to great indie music at the same time.

You Might Also Enjoy