alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The “Joys” of Traveling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Traveling can be one of the greatest excitements for someone. Exploring a new country, divulging into a new culture, embracing the complications of another language and, of course, the food! However, reaching that magical location can be a very stressful experience for the traveler. From crying babies on a 10+ hour flight, kicking children in the seat behind you to the horrible body odor of your fellow row mate, all of these are composed of a relatively large list of pet peeves that flyers will most likely encounter as they make their way to their destination.

Personally, the worst is by far body odor. No one deserves to be sitting next to someone who, let’s say, “forgot” to put on deodorant that morning. We are all sitting in “a metal tube, full of sickness” for hours and the last thing everyone needs is to be feeling the horrible stench of someone who hasn’t showered in days. On that note, bad breath is pretty close to body odor in the rankings. Majority recognize the fact that airplanes are shared by hundreds of people; all these people are complete strangers you might never see again; and that’s okay. You don’t have to start a conversation with the person next to you just because you will be sitting next to each other. Don’t get me wrong, I really do enjoy conversations with strangers, however, on a plane, I’ll pass. Now, if you really do have an uncontrollable urge to speak to someone, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please make sure your mouth isn’t releasing any odors that can be compared to the decomposition of a dead cow. The world thanks you.

From crying babies on a 10+ hour flight, kicking children in the seat behind you to the horrible body odor of your fellow row mate, all of these are composed of a relatively large list of pet peeves that flyers will most likely encounter as they make their way to their destination.

Moving onto the topic of children, I honestly sympathize with parents, I really do. Especially when they have three screaming children running hysterically around the airport. BUT, when your kid is screaming at the top of “its” lungs at 2 A.M., nobody will judge you if you drug your child to make sure they fall asleep (drugs recommended: tylenol PM or wine in the baby bottle). I perfectly understand that parents become immune to their child’s screams, but that doesn’t mean that the other 298 passengers can’t hear the unbearable screeching of your child. It also doesn’t hurt to tell your child, of course nicely so they don’t throw a tantrum, to stop kicking the person in front of you. In no way is the person, whose chair is being kicked, responsible for educating your child on how to act in public, it is the parent’s responsibility to do this. If needed, tie their legs together so that they are unable to move their squeamish legs and not bother any other human for the rest of the flight. Again, if they’re asleep, this isn’t a problem.

P.S. I didn’t know where this fit in. But PSA: If you are sitting on row 35 DO NOT put your luggage in the baggage compartment of row 25. There is a space above every seat, for the simple reason that each passenger can put their luggage over of their own seats. It makes no difference in where your luggage is, you are not going to get off quicker if you put your bag 10 rows ahead. The only thing you affect is the poor soul on row 25 that will have no other choice but to place their bag on row 35. Now, think about the mess that has been made, this person has to walk 10 rows back while others forcefully push their way forward in order to get off the plane (remember how small aisles there are on planes?).

So, basically. Don’t be an a** and be a peaceful, hygienic traveler who is following the unspoken rules of travel.

*this was written sarcastically/ironically (with a hint of truth)*

I'm a Brazilian/Swedish undergraduate student at Babson College who aspires to graduate with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. I'm currently working on my own website where I can display my writing and keep a portfolio of things that interest me. My childhood growing up in Brazil influences me in everything I do, which is clearly shown in my writing. I am a human rights activist, one of the main things I'm very passionate about is women's rights in the business world as that will be my path in the near future. I'm very open to discussing controversial topics as I realize that other people's opinion can change my perspective on the topic at hand and influence how I view the issue as well as teach me more about the other side of the argument or even a completely new approach.