This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

After a long stretch of winter, spring has finally sprung, and we’re just that close to summer break. But just because the temperature (maybe) rose a few degrees, the college workload shows no signs of stopping . With just a few short weeks to go until finals week, the current boatload of work and impending exams can seem extremely daunting. And, of course, final exam week is notoriously the hardest and most stressful week of the year for college students. You can just feel the stress and tension on campus, but it doesn’t have to be that way for you as long as you take a few extra steps, breaks, and precautions to make your final(s) stretch a bit more manageable.

Here are just a few suggestions for your final stretch:

Plan in a Planner

You’ve probably heard this countless times,  but using a planner and planning your weeks out in advance can make everything seem much more manageable. I always find that by writing down assignments, due dates, meetings, and exam times far in advance I can think about what I have to do ahead of time, so I’m not blindsided when it comes down to crunch time. And, a personal tip, I find that by getting a pretty planner, color coding it, and keeping it organized makes it more fun (even if only a little bit). If you’re not a planner, maybe this tried-and-true trick might be something to try out this upcoming exam week.  

Switch up the Study Space

In no way does holing up in the library for days and hours on end, sound appealing. Being at the same table for long amounts of time, staring at the same wall, sitting in the same chair in the library, can in no way be ultra-productive or good for your mental sanity. I always try to locate my top few favorite spots to study on campus, and rotate between them every time I get bored of the same space. A refreshing look may be just what you need to jump-start some motivation to take some notes or to finally get cracking on that research essay you’ve been procrastinating for way too long.  

Exercise

This is most definitely another exam week tip that you’ve heard many times. Keeping yourself active and moving, even for a little bit, can have so many benefits for your brain and body. Even if you can only get up and take a walk for a half hour, that is going to help your mental health so much more during exam week, than trying to super-focus yourself if you’re already drained from studying. A few great ways to mix up your exercise routine could be to try a new yoga, spin, or barre class in town. And, if you can’t get off campus, head to the gym for a quick elliptical session and some core routine. And, as always, a quick run outside in the fresh air can be a great way to enjoy the nice spring weather and get in your healthy cardio. Keeping exercise as a priority is something to keep in mind when you want to free yourself from the confines of your study space.  

Eat Right and Well

Everyone always tries to tell you that you need to eat so healthy to keep your brain functioning well during finals week. But, I find that the most important thing to do, specifically during exam week, is to keep your diet balanced. Make sure you make use of the all healthy options on campus for that extra brain-power, energy, and motivation. On the one hand, make sure you give into the occasional craving; whether it be that piece of chocolate, or that late-night snack you want with your friends. As long as you’re keeping your diet balanced, there is no harm in denying that craving.

A few quick pointers: don’t deprive yourself of meals, don’t change your caffeine consumption, drink plenty of water, and make sure you’re eating foods you enjoy, of course.  

Sleep

And, another tip that is common knowledge, is to get your sleep. It can be so tempting to pull an all nighter or stay in the library until it closes, but getting your normal amount of sleep, or close to it, can make all the difference in exam performance.  If you’re not sleeping as much as you need and should be during your finals week, don’t be afraid to take a quick nap to recharge yourself. Yes, I’m encouraging naps because who wouldn’t want to take a nap after a hard exam?

While none of these tips may be new to you, I can at least remind you of some tricks to make your finals week easier.  And, while I can’t actually get you that A, keeping your mental and physical health in-line with these tips, may just help you strive for the stars! 

I'm a Junior at Babson College who is an outgoing, energetic, organized, coffee-obsessed person with a passion for running, fitness, travel, culture, cuisine, and fashion. 
???? Founder of Her Campus Babson. Lover of stories. Over drinker of coffee. College student interested in the intersection of business, tech, and creativity.