This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Lately, I have discovered that when it comes to changing majors, many people are under the impression that this means they do not have their lives together or cannot make decisions. Even if this were true, why are those things necessarily bad? Do we as college students need to be making decisions to last a lifetime RIGHT NOW? Of course not! Any adult will talk about their “first job” versus the job they have now, so not everyone got their endgame professional placement the second they stepped off campus. Making decisions is about weighing options and trying potential interests when it comes to your education. Some things might be perfect for you, and others might now. How will you ever know if you make a decision and stick to it without looking into another thing that interests you? Maybe something unchartered is your true calling!

In reference to not having your life together because you changed your major, I could not disagree more with a statement. In some cases, this might be true for a specific person, but I personally feel that on the whole, changing your course of study means you are coming to terms with your own person more than you realized you could. Finding the strength to walk away from something you thought was your calling and choosing a different, and in many cases scarier, path is not something that shows misdirection. This shows power, courage, and self-knowledge. You know yourself best. If something interests you and is calling to you, follow it. Listen.

We are all just beginning our professional lives. This is the time to try all of the things that seem remotely interesting to us. Whether that is business, biology, education, or anthropology depends entirely on who YOU are as a person, and that is something you are still discovering as well! To expect to know for absolute positive what you want to study during college is unrealistic. Cut yourself some slack and be willing to accept that you are going to change your mind about things from time to time. Not only is it okay, it means that you are taking control of yourself and valuing your interests. It means you’re being kind to the one person you have control over: YOU!

Augustana Contributor 
Allyson Jesse is a senior at Augustana College studying English and Creative Writing. She enjoys poetry too much for her own good and spends her free time finding symbolism in everyday objects. Bunnies are by far her favorite animal and her most far-fetched dream is to own a bunny farm one day. More realistically, she hopes that after college she will be able to work in the magazine realm where she can inspire people to add more creativity to their lives.