The Top 5 Memes of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

2016 wasn’t exactly the year we hoped for. Our beloved Harambe died, clowns invaded the country, Vine announced its shutting down, the Anti-Defamation League added Pepe the Frog to the “Hate Symbol Database”, and Donald Trump won the presidential election. However, these tragedies shouldn’t blind us from the good things that happened this year. The Zodiac Killer was finally found (looking at you Ted Cruz), the release of Pokémon Go, our favorite merman Michael Phelps won his twenty-eighth medal at the Rio Olympics, the Cubs won the World Series, and of course the memes.

At the beginning of the year, no memes really stood out. Few had potential, but they weren’t ready to blow up; they lacked the charm most well-known memes had. Then during this last half of the year, new memes flooded the internet and our hearts. These memes continue to spread throughout social media and bring out our ability to manipulate them to please our audiences. From Mr. Krabs to the Mannequin Challenge, this year’s memes didn’t disappoint. 2016 was a good year for memes and they earned a place in my heart. I think a few of them deserve recognition.

5. here come dat boi! o shit waddup

A poorly 3D-animated frog riding a unicycle. So much simplicity, yet so much beauty.

4. Caveman Spongebob

Quite a few Spongebob memes emerged this year and this one really hit the spotlight. A perfect reaction image illustrating our bewilderment in certain circumstances.

3. Arthur’s Fist

Because a popular children’s cartoon is a terrific way to express anger. Arthur’s Fist is a relatable meme.

2. Obama and Biden memes

I adore Obama and Biden’s friendship and it pains me knowing they will be leaving office soon. Unlike the previous memes, Obama and Biden memes are not consistently circulated on the same picture. Whatever photos highlight the essence of their companionship just seems to work for this one and my heart melts every time.

1. Kermit the Frog

Kermit memes aren’t the newest thing, but Kermit talking to himself adds a new twist to the art form. A visual representation of talking to your inner self is appealing and using Kermit gives it a friskier edge. Plus, it leaves so much room for creativity and interpretation.

I look forward to the memes to come in 2017. Because the 2016 memes set the bar pretty high in my opinion.

Augustana Contributor