Three Quick Tips to Fight Fall Allergies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Fall allergies are undoubtedly the worst way to kick off a new school year. These allergies take hold of your life rather quickly, often times leaving you fatigued and irritated in your ridiculously early morning class. There are plenty of over-the-counter allergy medications that can be used to combat fall allergies, but what happens when you run out or they prove to be ineffective?  

Here are the most useful tips to take control of your nasal passages and self-respect during the fall season.

1. Identify the source of the allergies

In simpler terms, download the WebMD Allergy app. This app will ask you for your location in order to list the potential triggers of your allergies. The app provides information about mold, dust, trees, grass, and ragweed in your area. Even better, tips and other resources are offered to combat specific allergy flare-ups! Otherwise, get a scratch test done at your doctor’s office. This option can be more painful, but this test is extremely specific and useful if you require a prescribed allergy medication.

2.   Fight allergies with food

This is self-explanatory. Ditch the pizza and questionable amounts of cheese after your 2:30 Economics class. Allergies are a force to be reckoned with, so just taking your allergy medication won’t be enough. Aim to eat green foods like spinach, broccoli, or maybe even kale (it’s not that bad I promise). These foods are rich in carotenoids, which have proven to alleviate symptoms.

3.    Shower and change your pillowcase

There is no doubt that over the course of a day, pollen attaches itself to your hair or clothes. Do not sleep in your bed until you shower the pollen off of your body every night, otherwise you run the risk of transferring the pollen to your pillowcase, which will further exacerbate your condition.

Don’t be lazy. You can’t spell immune without ‘u,’ so play your part and do not let each season bombard your sinuses!

An English and Communications Major who is passionate about creating and reading literature.
Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.