This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

It’s crazy that it’s been four years since Kim Kardashian’s butt broke the internet. What’s also crazy? We’re still obsessed with Kim’s derriere. If you enjoy keeping up with the Kardashians, that’s fine. However, the second you start to criticize their bodies, or any other celebrity’s body, you are hindering the body positivity movement.

Unfortunately, Kim Kardashian isn’t the only woman whose body is constantly under surveillance. Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Ariel Winter, Selena Gomez, and even Beyoncé have all been criticized for their physical appearance.

Why? Who even cares? Here are a couple of reasons that explain why these articles are so commonly clicked on:

1. Celebrities exhibit the ultimate potential for human beauty. The ancient Romans had gods, and now we have celebrities. When they gain weight and start looking like they live a “normal” life, we feel cheated and body shame them.

2. It makes us feel better about ourselves. Criticizing a beautiful celebrity’s cellulite makes us feel less like a potato. It’s unfortunate that this is the case, but it is definitely a cause for body shaming.

3. Social media makes it easy. Celebrity body shaming has probably happened since the invention of the tabloid. Today, the only difference is we can easily access images to shame celebrities.

Unfortunately, most of the celebrities that are under deep scrutiny happen to be women. It’s rare to see articles about male celebrities’ “chub rubs” and “saddle bags” or their “soft” post-baby body.

Why should we stop body shaming?

1. Women are not here to be judged on their appearance. Judging celebrities sends the message that their worth or value is based on something as arbitrary beauty.

2. The message is easily internalized. If Karen over here is hating on Iskra Lawrence’s curves, it’s easy to think that there is something wrong with your own curves. To be more accepting of celebrity bodies is the best way to become more accepting of your own body and those around you.

3. There’s more to learn and more to do. Who cares if Kim Kardashian’s butt has a bit of a situation going on? The world has a bit of a situation going on, too!

Celebrity body shaming only increases body dissatisfaction. To decrease the amount of body shaming articles, we need to stop making them profitable by clicking on or following them. In other words, stop analyzing at Kim Kardashian’s butt!

Photo Credit: Vivien Killilea (Getty Images for Palm Springs International Film Festival)

Augustana Contributor